Symeria Palmer ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Name: Symeria Palmer

Classification: Senior

Major: Public Relations/Film and Video

Hometown: Covington, GA

While most college students are overwhelmed by their major and studies, this double major goes beyond the boundaries of the classroom and does it all! Symeria Palmer is a student ambassador for the 1913 Society, a welcome center tour guide, and former interned for Kontrol Magazine and Tre Natives Productions. If that is not impressive, Symeria is also the Marketing Co-Director of Spotlight Programs Board!

What is Spotlight?

“Spotlight Programs Board is the official programming board for Georgia State University. We are a student-run programming board that is dedicated to providing quality programs for Georgia State students. We organize a lot of big events on campus including the Pantherpalooza spring concert (this year featuring Trey Songz she says with a big smile), the annual Greek Showcase, Homecoming Week and the annual Spring Fashion Show.”

What is your role as the Marketing Co-Director?

“As the Marketing Co-Director, I plan, develop, and execute all marketing, advertising, and publicity strategies for Spotlight Programs Board. I also oversee 20 committee members, manage a $9,700 budget, staff events and serve on the budget committee.”

How has Spotlight impacted your college experience?

“When I first joined Spotlight as a committee member, I wanted to be a Videographer and edit films. Although I did not know how to edit films, members of the spotlight team taught me the basics of editing/filming while allowing me to add my own creative spin. After being a member of spotlight for about a year, I was encouraged to apply for an E-Board position as a Public Relations Director. At first I was not sure, but I applied anyway and to my surprise I got the job! That summer, I researched the Public Relations industry and fell in love! To me, Spotlight is not just a job, it is the beginning of my career. Being a member of this organizations has given me creative freedom, taught me self discipline, and has allowed me to identify my strengths and improve my weaknesses. Honestly, without Spotlight I do not think I would have grown into the person I am today.”

How has Spotlight provided you with opportunities?

“Spotlight has given me so many opportunities I cannot list them all! One opportunity that I will never forget was being able to film Kendrick Lamar, Elle Varner, and Young Jeezy at the 2013 Pantherpalooza Spring Concert. This was the best day of my life because I got to meet some of my favorite artists and it was also my birthday!”

What is the most memorable experience you had as an intern?

“My most memorable experience as an intern was when I worked as a Production Assistant on the set of Janelle Monae’s music video, “Queen”, which featured Erykah Badu. Having the opportunity to work on set with two of my favorite artists was phenomenal! I remember immediately jumping for joy and calling my parents when I found out about the good news. Being on set was very interesting. Although we worked extremely long hours (sunrise to sunset over the course of three days) I met amazing people and gained a lot of new experiences. I was extremely thrilled when I found out “Queen” won three awards and “Video of the Year” for the 2013 Soul Train Awards.”

What is your dream job?

“My dream job is to work for a public relations agency or department in New York City. New York is one of my favorite cities to visit, so having the opportunity to work there would be a dream come true!”

If you could time travel and give yourself advice freshman year, what would you say?

“Honestly, I accomplished all of my goals my freshman year, however, if I had to give one piece of advice I would tell myself to open up a little more, do not be afraid to face new challenges and try not to be so shy.”

Interesting Q&A

If you could hangout with any celebrity for a day who would it be?

“Michelle Obama”

If you could become fluent in any language overnight what would it be?

“French”

What is one beauty product you cannot live without?

“Mascara”

If you could wish for anything in the world except money, eternal health, or immortality, what would it be?

“Peace”

If you could travel anywhere in the world where would you go?

“Amalfi Coast in Campania, Italy”

What is your favorite designer brand?

“Herve Leger”

If your life was a novel, what would be the title of the first chapter?

“Getting Back on the Bike”

Acacia Williams is a senior at Georgia State University. Her pursuit is to achieve a Bachelors of Science Degree in Biology with a concentration in Physiology. Although science is her calling during her recreational time she enjoys traveling, writing poetry, painting, reading magazines and spending time with her friends. Her interest in fashion, beauty, love and passion for writing lead her to become a journalist for Georgia State University’s chapter of Her Campus.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus