Staying Safe during Homecoming

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Homecoming is a time of joy, fun and above all, pride. It’s about meeting new friends or catching up with old ones, while you cheer for the football team and roar with the crowd. Part of it involves partying smart and keeping out of harm’s way. There are five different ways you can avoid getting in trouble or putting yourself in danger on homecoming week. If you follow these five simple steps, you’ll be sure to have an amazing and memorable homecoming experience.

Dress for the event. That means don’t wear a mini-skirt and a crop top to the homecoming game. Your crush may be in the crowd, but that doesn’t mean flaunt your goods for everyone to see. The art of showing less is always more. Plus, you’ll avoid any outfit malfunctions that could’ve otherwise been avoided. Trust me on this.

Avoid dark streets and travel with a buddy. Walking around in a group is preferred, but sticking to the buddy system is the safest way to get around campus, especially during homecoming week when everyone is stampeding left and right. If you know you’re going to be walking someplace alone, I recommend you invest in mace, a whistle or a tiny taser. There are crazy people lurking around out there. More so, at a college that has a city for a campus like Georgia State.

When it’s late at night, keep close to areas with security guards. Stay where eyes can see you and never wander off without letting a friend know where you’re headed. Follow your instincts and be wary of your surroundings. Call for help if you see anything skeptical, but again, you shouldn’t be going anywhere alone!

Know when to stop. A limit is very important and I can’t emphasize enough how important it is to cut yourself off when you know you’ve had too much. Don’t even think about it if you’re driving. One drink can be the difference between a night in jail and a night in your own bed. Party smart and bear in mind the people around you. Never leave your drink unattended and regard others respectfully when you’re at a party or on the road.

Be a true friend. This might be the most important rule. Keep eyes on each other and watch each other’s backs. If a friend is intoxicated, stick with them and make sure they’re okay. That might mean going home early or saying goodbye to that cute guy you were chatting with. It’s your duty to support and take care of your friends and vice versa.

Homecoming is a very exciting time during college, and we want you to enjoy it! Just make sure to practice safety while enjoying all of the festivities Homecoming has to offer. 

Dominique Regalado is a multimedia Journalism major at Georgia State University. When she is not running around campus, she is drowning herself in coffee or editing for Her Campus. Dominique enjoys reading, going out for food, and much more while spending all her money on retail. She aspires to be a journalist for a major magazine publication. Follow her on Twitter: @domregalado!
The GSU chapter of Her Campus