Shamari Southwell ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Name: Shamari Southwell

Age: 20

Hometown: New Brunswick, New Jersey

Class: Junior

Major: Computer Science

Instagram: @PilotSham_

Her Campus: What makes Shamari, Shamari?

Shamari Southwell: “I’m a very outgoing person and I always love to have a good time. I love listening to music. Believe it or not, most people don’t know that I’m really geeky/ nerdy and I love computers.”

HC: What are some of your hobbies/interests?

SS: “I play basketball; I played all throughout high school. I also enjoy computer programming.”

HC: What were you most excited about when you were pronounced the 2015 Homecoming Prince?

SS: “I was most excited about leaving a lasting impact on Georgia State and being a role model for other people. Me just being on court was just a surreal experience.  It was something really outside of my comfort zone. When I won the crown it made me think that if I can do this, I can definitely inspire someone else to do it as well.”

HC: What are you involved in on campus?

SS: “I am involved in the creative team for Infinite Appeal, I am a senator for the College or Arts and Sciences, the Vice President for the Zeta Mu chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Incorporated, the Public Relations Chair for Alpha Lambda Delta, and also a member of the Panthers After Dark committee of Spotlight Programs Board.”

HC: You’re clearly heavily involved here on campus. How do you feel your involvement is preparing you for your future?

SS: “Leadership skills, communication, prioritizing and time management. It definitely helps with time management because when you’re involved in so many different things on campus, you have to learn how to, not only prioritize your time, but also get things done. You also make a lot of lasting relationships and network which will absolutely help you in your pursuit of a career later on.”

HC: Throughout your college career, who has been the most influential person?

SS: “Joshua Ferrell. He has graduated but he graduated at 20 years old and he’s making six figures. He was one of the first people I met when I got to Georgia State. He really mentored me and helped me just grow and develop into the campus leader I am today. He was a helping hand for me and he still is.”

HC: What is your number one goal in life?

SS: “Just to be happy and successful. Whatever I end up doing in life, I want to be great. Sometimes people put such a high standard on themselves in terms of the job they have, how much they make, or by what age they must have all of these things. At the end of the day, you only live life once, and I want to enjoy myself.”

HC: You touched on this earlier, but what is a passion of yours many may not know about?

SS: “I enjoy computers a lot. If there’s anything with a computer, I will do it. Many people may not know that just because I might come off as a different type of person.”

HC: Do you have a quote you live by or inspires you?

SS: “Yes. It’s by Ralph Waldo Emerson. ‘What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.’

HC: If you could be granted three wishes, what would they be?

SS: “I would start with wealth, just so I could take care of my family. If I could have two more, first I would wish for the ability to fly. Next, I would bring back my Great Aunt. She was a big inspiration in my life, and if I had the ability to bring her back, I definitely would. “

Quick Questions

Guilty Pleasure? Binge-watching Entourage

Ideal Concert Lineup: J.Cole, Kanye, Kendrick Lamar, Future, & Drake

Celebrity Crush? Karrueche Tran

Pet Peeve? Smacking

Nia Ballard is a junior at Georgia State University, majoring in Journalism and minoring in Theatre and Spanish. Traveling is her passion and she hopes her career in the PR industry will allow her to see the world. She loves going on new adventures, meeting new people, going to concerts, singing Beyonce Karaoke, Frozen Yogurt (more like addicted to), history documentaries, and binge-watching Gossip Girl. 
The GSU chapter of Her Campus