Miss Georgia USA Contestant: Acacia Williams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.
Meet GSU Alumna, former HC GSU writer and current Miss Georgia Contestant, Acacia!

Name: Acacia Williams 
Year: May 2015
Degree: Biology 
Hometown: Newton County, Georgia
Hobbies/Interests: Painting, writing and designing
Instagram: _aceyyyy__

Her Campus: Since graduating, what would you say has been your most valued lesson GSU taught you?
Acacia Williams: “The most important lesson I have learned since graduating is life does not always go exactly as planned and there aren’t any blueprints for success. Everyone’s journey in life is different because our destinies are not all the same.” 

HC: What are your current/future post-grad plans?
AW: “ In the future, I intend on attending medical school to pursue a career as a physician. Until then, I plan on traveling the world and experiencing new cultures! As a future physician, it is very important to me to be culturally competent. My goal is to travel to at least 6 different countries before I enter medical school.”

HC: What is your dream job?
AW: Although I love science and medicine, I have a passion for fashion! My dream job would definitely be to become an editor of a top fashion magazine, preferably Vogue.” 

HC: Congratulations on being a contestant for the next Miss Georgia USA pageant! What inspired you to enter the pageant?
AW: “Thank you! As a child I struggled with self-confidence, I often thought women were defined by their physical appearance until I decided to work hard in school and focus on being the best person that I could be. My academic achievement has allowed me to graduate with honors distinctions and a bachelors degree in biological sciences. My journey has taught me that you are not defined or limited by your beauty. Participating in this pageant will give me a platform to contribute to my community on a greater level. I want girls to know that it is important to embrace yourself, but I also want them to know that you are not limited or defined by your beauty.”

HC: If chosen to be the next Miss Georgia USA, how will your experience contribute to your career in medicine?
AW: “ While some may say beauty pageants are superficial, they can actually be very beneficial. Beauty pageants allow young women to build confidence, develop efficient communication skills and learn a lot about themselves. As a future physician, It is imperative for me to be confident and have effective communication skills. These skills are essential for physicians to make appropriate and effective decisions when determining proper treatment.”  

HC: Who/What keeps you motivated?
AW: “My niece, Amera. Although she is 5 years old, she is very observant. As her only aunt, I have made it my obligation to be an exceptional role model for her. I want her to chase her dreams, make the right decisions, strive for academic success, but most importantly I want her to know that she is special and it is very important to love yourself.” 

HC: Name one item you have to bring with you on your journey for Miss Georgia USA and why
AW: “ Sometimes getting on stage can be a little nerve racking, so to keep me calm I always wear my favorite bracelet which has the bible scripture Psalm 27:1. ‘The lord is my light and my salvation who shall I fear.’ This bracelet always gives me the extra encouragement I need.”

HC: What song gives you drive and motivation every time you hear it?
AW: “Hmm that’s a really hard question there are so many songs that I love, but my top song right now is I Believe by Christina Perri. My favorite line from this song is ‘ I believe if I knew where I was going I’d loose my way.’ These lyrics remind me that the best part about life is its mystery. Life can be so unpredictable sometimes.” 

HC: What advice would you give younger GSU students, who may want to enter into a pageant on or off campus?
AW: “From my experience competing in campus pageants like Miss Black and Gold and off campus pageants, the best advice I have to give is to be yourself. Although it is nice to win a shiny crown, pageants are not always about winning. Winning is definitely exciting but meeting new people, making new friends and having the opportunity to showcase who you are on stage is just as amazing!” 

HC: What is your most memorable moment at GSU?
AW: “My most memorable moment at GSU would definitely have to be graduation! It’s the best feeling in the world to know that all of my hard work and determination allowed me to accomplish such a huge goal.”

HC: What is your favorite quote that you live by?
AW: “Your best will always be good enough.”

Ashley Drayton is an alumna of Georgia State University, with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Journalism. Since being involved with Her Campus, she was co-founder and president of the GSU chapter, former chapter advisor of 5-8 college chapters, and wrote as a national contributing writer. Her dream job/career is to become a top writer, editor, blogger.