Meet the Homecoming Candidates: Norae Woodard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Name: Norae Woodard

Graduation Date: May 2018

Area of Study: Nursing

Homecoming Court Candidacy: Miss Georgia State University

What or who encouraged you to run for homecoming court?

What encouraged me the most to run for homecoming was honestly a little piece of myself from high school. It was always a goal of mine in high school to run for homecoming court but I never got a chance to. And the first three years being in college, I was so busy with life that I forgot that goal. But with this being my last year in undergrad, I made a promise to myself that I would try to accomplish all the things that I said I would before I graduate, which is what led me down this path.

Why this particular title, what makes it special?

During homecomings at other schools anyone can be named King, Queen, Prince or Princess. But to hold the distinct honor of carrying the title of “Miss Georgia State University” means so much more. To be able to represent and carry the name of a school, that I love so dearly and will forever be a part of my life and my journey is a wonderful opportunity, and I wouldn’t aim for anything less.

On this potential platform (alongside the others you may hold) what do you want to address or bring more attention to?

As a candidate, and prayerfully as the next Miss Georgia State University, I will be standing on the platform of “Embracing Your F.L.A.W.S (Fearless Loving And Wonderful Self)”. Throughout college, we face many obstacles that may make us question or challenge our identity and who we are. But just as our school has so much diversity and is accepting of all students, I would like to bring more attention to self-love and self-identity. We were all created in a unique manner, so instead of trying to be someone that we are not, it’s time that we accept ourselves and one another for who we are, no matter our ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or gender.

What is something that you want the student body at GSU to know about you?

What’s uuuuup GSU, your girl Norae here (LOL). Well as you can see I am extremely goofy, but also created with a kind, loving and genuine heart. If you just need someone to talk to, speak words of encouragement to you, or just give you a comforting hug, I’m your girl.

What impact do you want to leave at Georgia State University?

The biggest impact that I want to leave here at GSU, is the same impact that was left on me when I moved to Georgia to attend GSU, which was to make someone feel at home. To any out-of-state student, transfer, international student, etc who is not accustomed to a place like Georgia, it is tempting to try to hide and keep to themselves because of fear of the unknown. But I want to help those people to see that there is so much opportunity, family and love here at Georgia State, you just have to be willing to accept it. I never thought that I would be able to say that the city of Atlanta is my home, but now I can because the kindness and community that came from my Panther Family made me feel at home.

*speed round*

What is your favorite food?

Only one?? Aw man, well then I would have to say Chocolate. I looooooooove Chocolate.

Best movie you have seen in the last year?

Hmmm the best movie that I’ve seen in the last year would probably be “Get Out”. I literally have watched that movie like 8 times now, and it’s still enjoyable to watch, especially with first-timers because their reactions are priceless.

Who is your best friend?

Jeeesssuuusss!! He is always there for me, I know I can call on him when I need him, and I know that if I am ever down, he always cheers me up some kind of way. That’s the kind of friend you know is a bestie for life.

Greatest memory at GSU?

My all time greatest and funniest memory was receiving my acceptance letter into the Byrdine F. Lewis College of Nursing and Health Professions. I remember like it was yesterday, I was running on the treadmill, because I was trying not to think about how everyone was receiving acceptance letters, but me. And then I got a notification on my phone, saying I had an email from the nursing school, saying “Congratulations! You have been accepted into the Accelerated Nursing Program…”. I was so excited that I forgot where I was, because I was crying & screaming and still running on the treadmill all at the same time. I know those people in the gym, were looking at me like I was crazy, but I didn’t care because I was too happy.

One item you could have with you if you were stuck on an island?

I would probably ask for a genie’s lamp. That way I would have three wishes: two wishes to spend for fun, and then the last wish to ask for a rescue team to come and save me from the island.

**All photos courtesy of Norae Woodard**

Cydney Maria (Rhines) is a creative writer, journalist and photographer located in Atlanta, Ga. She is currently a student at Georgia State University studying journalism and english. She coins her brand as something curated beautifully for those who may not feel that beauty. Her main focus is mental health, social issues, digital design and of course the beauty of black girl magic. Her main goal is to constantly write creative content that fills a need. She is currently published accross multiple platforms and looks to continue her current level of work after she graduates from GSU. Check this creative out!