Meet The Greeks: Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Organization name: Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc

Chapter: Lambda Nu chartered on December 16,  1986

Organization Date Founded: January 16, 1920

Interviewee name: Lia Davis

Interviewee classification: Senior

Interviewee year and semester of joining Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc: Spring 2016

Davis is a senior majoring in Journalism with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in sociology. She is a member of the Lamdu Nu Chapter of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. In an interview, Davis shares her experiences within her sorority with Her Campus.

HC: Why​ ​did​ ​you​ ​choose​ to be apart of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.?

LD: I chose Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. based upon its principles and I applied it to how the chapter acted on campus. I did my research on every sorority, and I love all of the chapters on Georgia State’s campus with my whole heart, but my heart lied with Zeta.

HC: What​ ​makes​ ​your ​sisterhood ​special​ ​for​ ​you?

LD: It makes it that much more special because I feel like each of my sisters are like me, but in a different lifetime. My prophytes are the more wise and mature version of myself, and my line sisters are the fun, party me. It’s like having different shades of myself, and I love it. I love them.

HC: Did​ ​you​ ​think​ ​that​ ​you​ ​would​ ​be​ ​a​ ​member​ ​of​ ​this​ ​organization?​ ​Why?​

LD: Yes. My aunt is a Zeta. I was always on campus with her at Alabama A&M. Once I got to college I knew what I wanted to do, but I still did my research to give everyone a fair chance. After I did that, Zeta was still the only one.

HC: What is one moment that you wish you could relive with your sorority?

LD: My probate. My probate was like a breath of fresh air, and you’re just showered with so much love. My sorority is the only sorority to be constitutionally bound to a fraternity. When we get in the circle and we sing our hymn, every sorority does it, but our brothers also come around us and sing the hymn with us. Just to have that whole family there, rocking with you, welcoming you into Greekdom, it’s amazing.

HC: Compared​ ​to​ ​when​ ​you​ ​first​ ​became​ ​a​ ​member,​ ​how​ ​has​ ​Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. ​impacted​ ​your​ ​growth​ ​in​ ​college?

LD: It has made me mature a lot. I thought I was already mature, but then I realized I was really a baby. I had to do a lot of things. I had to learn how to do business with my sisters. I had to learn how to do business with my brothers. I had to learn to accept people for who they were, and not be upset with the being how they are. A lot of growth came with this, and I’m loving it.

HC:  What​ ​type​ ​of​ ​legacy​ ​do​ ​you​ ​want​ ​to​ ​leave​ ​on​ ​the​ ​GSU campus?

LD: I want to be remembered as that girl who grew, but always remained the same. I grew, but I never lost who I was. I was always that fun [still loud] about her business, friendly and approachable.

HC: What are you looking forward to most within your sorority?

LD: I’m looking forward to having babies. I look forward to passing on my experiences to the next mini me. I’m ready to be that big sister that they call and get advice on whatever it may be. I can give them whole-hearted advice that they can really cherish for the rest of their life. I’m ready to be that monumental person, because my mentor was that for me. All of my mentors played a big part in who I am today, and I can’t wait to be that for someone else.

To get constant updates on these lovely ladies, be sure to follow the Lambda Nu chapter of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. on Instagram @lovelylambdanu!

Sierra Jenkins is currently a student at Georgia State University studying journalism and African American studies. Jenkins aspires to enlighten and inform others through her writing. She believes it is important to have conversations and create dialogue around topics that aren't always discussed publicly. Jenkins strives to break societal barriers through her use of words and set an example for other women from all walks of life.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus