This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

As we step into a new month and National Women’s History Month comes to a close, may we never lose sight of the work that still needs to be done. Let us remain diligent and passionate in our work, so that the work of the great women who came before us, never goes in vain. So with that, we give thanks and shed light on the work of Marielle Franco. 

Source

Marielle Franco was a Brazilian politician who stood for many things. She was a feminist, human rights activist, along with being a mother of one. As a black woman and single mother, she spoke out as a defender of poor black women. As a city council member in Rio De Janeiro, she fought for gender violence and reproductive rights. We are saddened to see that the work of Marielle Franco, was cut short.  

source 

On Wednesday, March 14, Marielle was leaving an event titled “Black Women Changing Power Structures”, when Marielle Franco and Anderson Pedro Gomes (her driver), were fatally shot by two men who passed them in a car that still remains unidentified. Nine shots were fired, leading to the injury of a press officer who sat in the back of the car, and the death of Anderson Gomes and Marielle Franco.

Source

“Her assassination was a clear message for all human right defenders… Their objective was not only to silence this young human rights defender. By killing her, they tried to silence an idea, to kill any resistance” said Raphael Tsavkko Garcia of  “Marielle Franco May Be Gone, but She Is Not Silenced.” Marielle Franco was shot four times in the head, making it very clear that her assassination was political.

Brazil is making it very clear, that their voices will not be silenced, nor will Marielle Franco’s. With so many voices speaking out, the world will know her name and all that she stood for. Brazil, we stand with you and are deeply inspired by your strength and courage to carry on her name and her work. We hear you loud and clear. To Marielle Franco, we thank you. #SayHerName

The GSU chapter of Her Campus