James Franco Takes Over the Annual Atlanta Film Festival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

If you were in town this past week, then you were likely to run in to a couple of film stars. The 39th Anniversary of the Atlanta Film Festival ran from March 20th to March 29th, and featured several amazing films such as Imba Means Sing, Helicopter Mom, and The Sisterhood of Night.

Photo by Alexander Petersen

Most notably, the festival opened with one of the most buzz worthy films, I Am Michael starring James Franco; a film that documents the life of a gay activist who turns into a straight pastor. The film itself is phenomenal in its narration and the direction Justin Kelly takes. It allows the audience to go through the conflicting persona of Michael, yet be able to distinguish their own judgment.  It is definitely a must see. 

Photo by IMOTO

As if one film in the festival was not enough, Mr. Franco made another cameo in The Heyday of Insensitive Bastards, a film that he produced with several of his students from UCLA that features 7 stories of well… insensitive bastards. At this screening however, Franco himself made an appearance and even stayed after for a Q&A. 

Photo by Lindsey Sperling

A few fans and students from GSU got the chance to ask the multi-talented actor a few questions. Below is a video of the actor explaining the film before the screening.

Video by Camilla Mhute

Zimbabwean-American Journalism major at Georgia State University. Audrey Hepburn and pink enthusiast who's constantly dreaming of Breakfast at Bergdorfs. She lives in Atlanta with New York on her mind.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus