rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Importance of Self Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Today, in the land of fast technology, everything is about being busy and on the go. Between classes, homework, jobs, and social activities, it’s hard to catch a break. When you finally have some free time, how often do you reflect? Do you ever just take a moment and check in with yourself? We all know how important it is for us to make money and keep our grades up, but the key is to avoid burning ourselves out. During times of high stress or elevated frustration, we need to take a moment to relax and unwind.

So, what’s been going on? What’s been grinding your gears lately? Is work stressing you out? Do your coworkers make you miserable? Maybe your classwork is starting to pile up and you’re getting overwhelmed or maybe your roommate isn’t doing their fair share of the cleaning. It’s times like these where we need to focus on our well-being the most. If you’re constantly on the go and never taking a break, it’ll only be a matter of time before you become purely exhausted.

Every now and then, take time away from family and friends. When you’re constantly surrounded by people, it can be hard to get a moment to yourself. Pick a day that can be all about you. Take a bubble bath, go for a run, do some yoga, or lounge around the house in your favorite pajamas and do absolutely nothing. You’ll thank yourself later!

Some of us are known for putting others needs before our own, which can negatively impact our lives if done too often. Helping others should not mean never taking the time to help yourself. If you’ve been feeling emotionally drained lately, clear your head. Think about what’s been bothering you and let it free. You don’t have to be everyone’s superwoman. Allow yourself a chance to feel frustrated, angry, or sad.

This should not be a difficult or time consuming task. Take a moment each day to check in with yourself by reflecting on where you are and how you’ve been feeling. Going to bed an hour earlier, lessening the amount of projects you assign yourself to or taking yourself out for a manicure is a good place to start. Refocusing your mind and getting a fresh start to your day is all you need to keep everything moving and grooving. It’s easy to forget to love yourself every now and then, but practice makes perfect!

Ashley Mayo is a recent graduate Georgia State University with a Bachelor of Art in Journalism. She has a passion for reading self-help and fiction books, writing, women's health, and a large cup of caramel coffee. Her personal goals include discovering her purpose, loving herself, and having a happy, fulfilling life.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus