I-85 Collapses, No Injuries Reported

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Thursday, March 30th at around 7 p.m., a two-alarm fire, which requires five engine companies, two ladder companies, and multiple special units, started at I-85 north at Monroe Drive. The cause of the fire was not known, and traffic going north and south was stopped and blocked off. Northbound drivers were stranded on the highway.

Soon after the fire, a portion of the highway collapsed. The good news? The collapse put out the fire, and nobody was killed or injured. The bad news? Atlanta traffic is about to get much worse.

It is predicted that I-75 N is going to get the bulk of the traffic. About 250,000 vehicles travel on I-85 N everyday. Fortunately, a lot of counties are out for spring break next week and many businesses and offices will close for a while.

It will take over six months for that portion of the highway to be repaired, but city planners are looking into 1996 Olympic traffic solutions to solve the problem in the meantime. While we wait, it suggested that you use I-285 to I-20, Roswell Road, Piedmont Road, Peachtree Street, and GA-400 as alternate routes to various destinations downtown. Marta is also another great option!

Georgia State University encourages staff to be accommodating to commuter students during this time, so don’t stress about not making it to class promptly the next few days.

HerCampus GSU would like to thank the efforts of firefighters, police, and other emergency services for their quick response and valiant efforts Thursday evening.

Hi everyone! I am a nursing major at Georgia State University. I am a transfer student and I love being a Panther! In addition to Her Campus, I am involved with Big Brothers Big Sisters GSU and I volunteer at Kennestone Hospital. I like horror movies, camping, the beach, food, working out, shopping, and taking naps.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus