How to Have Fun on Valentine’s Day When Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

If you are a female who happens to be single in February, there’s one thing that you absolutely dread: Valentine’s Day.

This ‘Hallmark created’ holiday somehow switches on depression in a blink of an eye. Instead of dreading the day and/or spending it with you two main guys, Ben and Jerry, make Valentine’s Day a day that you celebrate you.

NBC’s Parks and Recreation executed the ‘opposite’ of Valentine’s Day with “Galentine’s Day.”

Spend this love-filled day with the people you love the most, your girls.

Make evening plans with your single friends. Whether its dinner, dancing, the movies, or even just junk food in pajamas at home! Have something to look forward to that day.

For the day of Valentine’s Day:

Start the day off with a good breakfast. Seeing as how Valentine’s Day falls on a Tuesday this year and people have lives, school and work are going to interfere with the ‘perfect day’. If you can, sleep in. If not, hop on the most important meal of the day. So, make sure to treat yourself first thing. Get the Venti latte at Starbucks; purchase the combo for Chick-fil-a Mini Chicken Biscuits; or maybe get yourself a box of Krispy Kreme (why not?).

Throughout the day, let your body have what it wants. Cookies after lunch? Go for it. Glass of wine with you Caesar salad? You deserve it.

When the evening rolls around, get all dressed up as if you were going on a ‘hot date’. Technically, you are! Meeting up with your friends for dinner, maybe a movie (Fifty Shades Darker premieres on Valentine’s Day!), and possibly dancing! Do something that you and your girls love. Guilty pleasures are a must on days like V-Day.

Valentine’s Day is the day where you celebrate your loved one(s). Your friends are there for you when those jerk guys are not.  Celebrate your girls with a fun Valentine’s Day (or Galentine’s Day) consisting of spending time with each other. February does not have to be a tragic, sad month. Make February the month you look forward to each year. Plus, you cannot forget the discount candy the next day.

Non-Stereotypical Sorority Girl // Professional Dog Walker // Queen of Carpool Karaoke // Coffee Aficionado 
The GSU chapter of Her Campus