This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

As college women, it’s important for us to understand how our bodies function and to care for it accordingly, especially when it comes to our sexual health. Unfortunately, a lot of young women don’t understand what’s really going on once they hit puberty and unless they were given the right type of sexual education, they’re still lost once they’ve graduated high school. Is your cycle normal? Do you know when your next period is due? When was the last time you gave yourself a breast exam?  

Once girls reach a certain age, the quick go-to when it comes to hormone and cycle regulation is to get prescribed birth control. The crazy thing is, half of the girls who receive it don’t even understand how it works. To put it in simple terms, the pill – whether it’s the combination or mini pill – is meant to prevent ovulation.

But what is ovulation?

Ovulation is when a mature egg is released from the ovary to be fertilized by sperm. During this time is when you’re most likely to become pregnant because the egg survives for about 12-24 hours and sperm can survive in the vagina (in the right environment) for up to 5 days. Women can’t get pregnant any random time of the month like it’s often assumed; there’s really only one small window of opportunity per cycle for conception to even happen.

This is basic information that’s taught in health class but let’s be real, sex education lacks in many areas. Even if it is taught briefly, it’s not emphasized enough or ingrained in our brains for it to last long enough and be meaningful. In this day and age, the internet can be a great resource but also a great curse because often times, there’s still a lot of incorrect information out there.

Women’s health is a very serious issue today (ie. the case with Planned Parenthood and presidential candidates wanting to dictate women’s sexual health rights). We must take our health seriously, especially in times like these where people want to control it while keeping young girls uninformed of the basic fundamentals of being a women.

Once you’ve become sexually active, it’s important to make sure that you’re “wrapping” before you’re “tapping” to avoid transmission of STDs along with avoiding accidental pregnancies. You and your partner should be getting tested regularly, at least once a year. You should be visiting a gynecologist by this time but once a girl turn 21, she’s eligible to get a Pap smear, which is a screening procedure for cervical cancer. According to Kid’s Health, women in their 20’s with normal Pap smear results should get one every 3 years. Also, administering self breast exams on yourself periodically throughout your cycle is another great way of educating yourself about your body.

Not every women is made the same. Our cycles are all different despite the fact that some of us tend to “sync” up when we’re around each other long enough. That first day of your period is counted as Day 1 and you continue counting until your next period shows up, which then starts a brand new cycle.

There’s this misinformed assumption that every woman’s cycle is supposed to last about 28 days and that ovulation occurs on the 14th day of every cycle. That’s absolutely not true. Some cycles can last as long as 30+ days and ovulation almost never actually happens on day 14. Irregular cycles are actually quite common, so if you’re one of those few who have cycles that seem unpredictable, you’re not alone. No cycle is created equal, which is why it’s important for you to track and pay close attention to patterns so you’ll know exactly what goes on every month. There are several apps and books out there to help inform you with any extra information. NOTE: Do not rely on period tracker apps to predict when you’ve ovulated, these are just assumptions and not always correct.    

It’s so empowering when you understand how your body works. Being a women is such a wonderful thing and our bodies do such amazing things. No one knows yourself better than you, not even your doctor. So, never hesitate to do everything in your power to make sure you are healthy, STD free, and functioning efficiently. 

Ashley Mayo is a recent graduate Georgia State University with a Bachelor of Art in Journalism. She has a passion for reading self-help and fiction books, writing, women's health, and a large cup of caramel coffee. Her personal goals include discovering her purpose, loving herself, and having a happy, fulfilling life.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus