Healthy, Clear Skin The Natural Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

We all want clear, glowing skin, but sometimes it’s hard to find products that get that job done without harsh chemicals or alcohol. Luckily, there are natural, affordable alternatives to obtain flawless skin.

African Black Soap: African Black Soap is ideal for keeping your face fresh and clean. It is typically made of harvested plants, such as plantain, shea tree bark, and palm tree leaves, usually in West Africa, but can be found in other areas of Africa as well. This soap contains antibacterial properties and isn’t harsh on the skin, so it is great for acne, eczema, and most other skin conditions. It’s best to get the pure black soap that is made in Africa as opposed to the brands made in Europe or the United Sates because these tend to have added ingredients or chemicals. Pure African black soap can be found at your local African market, health store, or select beauty supply stores.

Tea Tree oil: Tea tree essential oil is also great for acne and dark spots. Just a few drops of tea tree oil will get the job done. Tea tree oil works by fighting off acne producing bacteria on your skin. It’s a great natural alternative that provides all the same benefits as your favorite acne cleanser without the harsh side effects. Research has shown that tea tree oil is as effective as using benzoyl peroxide to clear up your acne. 

Rose Water: I’m sure you’ve heard of all the wonderful benefits of rose water by now. If you aren’t familiar with this product, you’re missing out! Rose water is a great natural toner because of its astringent properties. It also helps maintain the skin’s pH and it helps hydrate your skin. Just like African Black Soap and tea tree oil, rose water contains antibacterial properties to get rid of your acne and blemishes. Dermatologists often recommend rose water for acne and rosacea to reduce inflammation. If you have oily skin, rose water is great for controlling excess oil. You can add rose water to your skin regimen by using it in place of your toner or cleanser to remove oil and dirt. To make things better, you can make rose water at home! It is made by steam distillation so all you really need is rose petals and water. Bring it to a boil and collect the byproduct from the steam in a jar and there you have it.

Aloe Vera Plant: Let’s not forget moisture! Many products claim to have aloe vera in them, but recent tests have shown that some of these products have little to no aloe vera in them at all. So how can you get the moisturizing benefits of aloe vera? Simple, buy an aloe vera plant! Aloe vera is great for hydrating your skin, so if you tend to have dry skin, this is perfect for you. It will give you soft, healthy looking skin.  Aloe vera also contains antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties so it’s helpful for acne as well. Simply cut an aloe vera leaf open and apply the gel on the inside to your face or make your own moisturizer by mixing it with your favorite oil.

Most importantly, don’t forget to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and eat lots of fruits and veggies! Your skin will be glowing before you know it. 

Diana MO graduated from Georgia State University with a B.A. in English, Rhetoric and Composition and a Certificate in French. She loves traveling, writing, and seeking out new adventures. As an advocate for wellness and healthy living, she also enjoys spending her free time hiking, exercising, and practicing mindfulness through yoga and meditation. Diana currently lives in Cannes, France, where she teaches English.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus