Guys You’ll Meet in College Pt. 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Ladies, we all know when you enroll as a freshman, you get all the information you need to get through these four years. You get financial aid, major, career, dorm, friendship and party advice to help guide you in the best direction. However, everyone seems to leave out the advice on how to survive college men, but in order to, you’ll need to know what to look out for. Here’s 9 types of men you’ll meet, starting with the ones you should run from, on sight!

The Freeloader

The freeloader is extremely resourceful because you’ll mistake him as a “forever bae” type, since he’s seemingly the perfect gentleman, but huge mistake. Freeloader loves his mother, and is spoiled by his parents (especially his mother). He’ll take anything he can get from you, whether it’s free food, a ride or two, or crashing at your place. Before you know it, you’re playing house together except, y’all aren’t officiallyndating though. When you put him out, he’s got another girls spot lined up to go to. Prevention tip: when he shows up with a bag full of his things, girl, RUN!

Mr. Napoleon Complex

Mr. Napolean Complex is adorable, smart and smooth. You are not to be fooled by their size, or how cute. Since he’s smaller, he asserts his power by being an as* hole. He’s easily influenced by his friends, and a master manipulator of your emotions. One minute he’ll beg to come see you and the next you won’t even get a text back. These types are usually crazy about you (literally crazy), but remain ice cold in dealings with you to maintain control in the situation. Watch out for these munchkins! 

Ultimate Greek

The Ultimate Greek is the best type to avoid, considering they are the king finessers. They’re usually the tall and handsome type whom everyone knows because he’s everywhere on campus. They are super faithful, to every woman in their lives at that time. He’s also always in plaza strolling. The life of the party, funny, cute, huge ego, intelligent, ambitious, and great sex as well, these men are the ones who may make you consider being okay with them ruining your life (cause they will ruin your life). 

The Friend Dater

These guys are to be watched, because they’re the ones who preach about women who “homie hop”, but are in your whole circles’ phones. These men play nonchalant and unaware of their actions, but they love talking to women in the same circle. While he’s disrespectful as a love interest, he’s a great way to ween out real friends from the fake ones. Thank him, but also avoid avoid avoid.

Serial Friendzone Escaper

The Serial Friendzone Escaper is a what you’d consider your real down to earth guy friend, who’s clutch when it comes to advice, kicking it and even studying. He’s helpful, resourceful but also a finesser, and a scammer. He’s not to be trusted because he always tries to escape the friend zone when you’re least prepared for it. Keep one eye on this one at all times…

The Promoter

The plug on every party and event on campus. He can get you and your friends into VIP at Mansion and will have a bottle on hand at your beck and call. They can be your best friend or your best headache; because they can begin to expect things in return if you hit them up every time you’re trying to get into the function for free. Keep them at a distance and don’t take advantage of them if you’re not trying for anything serious; because at the end of the day, the money is their motive and they’re not going to appreciate you trying to get over on them.

Now for the ones you can spend some time on… 

The Ultimate Bae

The Ultimate Bae, is the guy you hear about and may even witness here and there enough to know they exist. These gentlemen treat you like a queen. He is the type that is handsome AND respectful. Ultimate Bae actually wants to get to know you as a person and makes strides to show you’re important by paying attention to the little details and quirks about you. He has a ton of leadership roles and is involved in everything on campus but remains humble and quiet. Ultimate bae great to talk to, considering he isn’t just out yaping. He dislikes drama, scenes or anything that’ll draw attention. He may not care for posting your relationship on social media but he makes sure everyone knows who his lady is. He’s the type to plan study or art dates and to bring wine and flowers to you just cause you’re having a bad day. He’s promising, and sweet, keep him around ladies!

The Artlanta Guy

Brand ambassadors to designer to photographer, these are the ones that will really show you what Atlanta has to offer. They’re not up for the typical Atlanta “moves” every weekend. They will have you at fashion shows, art shows, networking events, and photoshoots. They rep Zone 6 to the day they die and have a unique swag that makes them intriguing. You can usually find them at God Is Dope, Vain, Little 5 Points, and Krog Street. They are a breath of fresh air from the typical campus guy, but in reality…they’re still guys. The Greek Next Door

The Greek Next Door knows that he’s wanted by many, but TRULY committed to one. The status means nothing to him because he’s focused on bettering his education, his organization, and his community. He’s the Greek guy that every girl fights to get because they know during undergrad years he is RARE. He doesn’t let the letters be the tell-all for who he truly is and will gladly prove it to you. But he can make still you weak in the knees when you see him strolling in his business professional at plaza, and even weaker because you know he’s all yours. If you are blessed enough to come across this rare individual, LOVE HIM, SUPPORT HIM, AND DON’T EVER LET HIM GO!!

Always remember though ladies, books are your first priority and you always have the power! So if he isn’t treating you like a queen, don’t waste your time.

Hey there! I'm Krystal, the former 2015-2017 President of Her Campus GSU, and an alumna of Georgia State University. You can now catch me on krystalcaliyah.com. Cheers!
Taylor Johnson

Northeastern

My names Taylor. I'm a Communications/Music Industry student. I'm a born and raised New Yorker living in Boston. I love fashion, music, and all things pop culture.