GSU Students Respond to Affairs Over Seas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Last week the world was astounded when over 129 people were killed in a series of attacks in Paris. According to CNN, much of the world is holding the Islamic state responsible for the attacks. Days later France authorized a series of airstrikes and once again, the world is concerned with Isis.

Today, we asked students around campus about their thoughts on what going on overseas.

“I wish America would cover the bombings a little bit better and portray more accurate information.” – David Fadel, 23.

“Is everyone on social media going to take pictures with the Syrian flag now? Because the innocent were hurt there too. I think our attention spnas are too short. We only care about stuff for a week and we forget the problem without it being solved.”  Jason, 23.

Kassa Khouzami, 21

Ironically, I do not feel threatened by the Islamic State. i don’t really know how to explain it but i know that , at least for right now, they are not an immediate threat to the United States. However I do feel threatened in a different way. The Islamic State has struck fear into the hearts of americans causing most ignorant americans to blame the muslim minority for the actions of ISIS. Its scary because you cannot help be scared that someone will attack you because of a terrorist group who associates themselves with your religion.  I just hope that people take the time to educate themselves and look at things realistically.”

Lia Vialva, 19

“Isis was supported by the US government during the Bush administration and a lot of what’s happening right now is a direct result of that. There’s nothing I can necessarily do about it but it’s disheartening that so many lives were lost because of this.”  

Joshua Jones, 23

“I think it’s kind of bullshit. It an entire country full of innocent people. If you think you know Isis is in Syria, why not go look for them instead of going to these extremes.”

The GSU chapter of Her Campus