GSU Gets Behind The Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 Georgia State University was given the oppurtunity of a lifetime; a chance to get up close and personal with some of the hottest video directors, engineers, and DJs right now! Sophmore, Princess Ogumgbuaja, with the support of Georgia State University Housing FYRE mentors was able to bring Be El Be, Alex Tumay, DJ Pretty Boy Tank, 217 On The Track, Peter Parker, and Will A Fool together for an unforgettable panel. 

When Princess was asked what inspired her to do this she said, “I’ve had the opportunity to get a behind the scene view of the music industry. I’ve been in the  studio and saw that there is more to these tracks than just these artist giving vocals. The engineers, producers, and diretors give so much to the music and do not get the proper recognition. You have engineer and producers mixing and DJs promoting; that is truly how hits are made and most people don’t get or understand that.” Princess was able to bring everyone together by working her own personal connectinos and being sure to stay consistent on reaching out and getting a definite answer.  She said, “This was totally outside of my comfort zone and even FYRE’s comfort zone. We usually just do housing programs, so this was totally outside of the box for us but it turned out great.”

Wednesday’s panel was hosted by DJ John J and the mastermind behind it all herself, Princess. They moderated  the discussion on what truly goes on behind the scenes in the industry. DJ Peter Parker, a GSU alum said, “It was a great feeling returning to my alma mater to talk to current students about my experiences with deejaying and my work in the industry. I hope I gave them insights on what it takes to make it in the entertainment field, but most importantly I hope they remember that balancing your life between personal and work is a major key to their success.”  Be El Be left the audience with the lastnig words of, “Patience is time with understanding.”

Want to know a little bit more about the panelist. Check them out below!

Be El Be

Be El Be, a video director that works closely with Young Thug. Many may know him from his peculiar but unique video “Best Friend” which revived over 75 million views on YouTube. Some of his other work includes, Gucci Mane- Servin, Rich Homie Quan- Flex, Young Thug- Stoner, Danny Glover, and Lifestyle.

Alex Tumay

Alex Tumay, is an audio engineer, DJ, and  producer who is known primarily for his work with Young Thug,  Metro Boomin, and Travis Scott. Putting together projects like Barter 6,  Rodeo,  Slime Season 1 and 2,  Rich Gang Tha Tour Pt 1 and Days Before Rodeo. He’s also mixed and engineered for artists Future, TI, Drake, Kanye West, Gucci and many more. Alex spent most of last year as Young Thug’s tour DJ/executive producer but is now working on projects with a few up and coming Atlanta artists. 

DJ Pretty Boy Tank

DJ Pretty Boy Tank, one of the most prominent DJ hosts in Atlanta who has hosted several mixtapes for many artists, including the likes of PeeWee Longway – “Lobby Runners”,  Bankroll Fresh – “Life of A Hot Boy 2″, Travis Porter – “Differenter 3” and many more.

217 On The Track

217 On The Track, young and hungry producer ,recording artist, & filmmaker who has been climbing his way to the top by producing top hit records such as, “El Chapo Jr” – 2 Chainz  and “Walked In” – Bankroll Fresh. His work is also extended with artists such as Young Jeezy, Fetty Wap & more. While Mr. 2-17 is a well-established music producer and recording artist, he first gained notoriety as a music video director in the Atlanta hip-hop scene. His biggest viral success, the #DropDance video for Freco & Merlo, has reached over 6.4 million views on YouTube. Mr. 2-17 produced the beat for the #DropDance song, and directed its music video that became an Internet sensation. 

Peter Parker

DJ Peter Parker, who now goes by the moniker, the” Canterbury Tales”, a highly skilled DJ well known for his turntalblism which has led him to open for several artists such as Travis Scott, Curren$y, Migos and Kevin Gates. He is also an instructor at Scratch DJ Academy in Atlanta and the official DJ for the entertainment company Beer & Tacos.

Will A Fool

Will A Fool, a producer who has an impressive track record of producing smash hits, is an Atlanta based producer who has been in the game for quite a while now. He is credited with producing some of our favorite hits such as Gone To The Moon-Future, Cut Her Off- K Camp ft 2 Chainz, Bend Over- Rich Kids, and Tony Montana – Future ft Drake.

K. Miche' Thomas is a double major Marketing and Managerial Sciences student at Georgia State University. Upon her anticipated graduation in 2018 she plans to attend law school to pursue her dreams of becoming a Trademark & Patent Attorney. In her extra time she enjoys planning event and spending precious time with friends and family.