This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

The 60th Annual Grammy Awards ceremony was one to remember this year. The evening’s events ranged from celebrities choosing to wear white roses in honor of the Times Up initiative, to Cardi B attending her first Grammy awards, and even to Jay-Z being the most nominated artist, but taking no awards home.

This year, the Grammys took place in New York City at Madison Square Garden rather than Downtown Los Angeles at Staples Center, making it the first time in 15 years that the show was hosted in New York City.

The attention for the night was on Jay-Z and Kendrick Lamar, who both were nominated for the most awards. By the end of the night, Kendrick took home four awards.

Fans and celebrities wanted to know who would take the award home for big categories, such as Album of the Year, Record of the Year, and Song of the Year. Sadly, it was neither Jay-Z nor Kendrick Lamar instead Bruno Mars took the award home for all three categories.

Bruno not only took home the biggest awards for the night, but he also killed the stage when he performed his single Finesse featuring Cardi B. The song has a 90s style beat and pays homage to the show In Living Color.  

The night wasn’t only about the wins, it was also about awareness. An emotional Kesha performed her song “Praying” along with singers Cyndi Lauper, Camila Cabello, Andra Day, Julia Michaels, Bebe Rexha, and the Resistance Revival Chorus.

The performance was the #Metoo moment for the Grammys. The performance was fueled by the time she spent with her producer Dr. Luke at Kemosabe Entertainment. In 2014, Kesha sued Dr. Luke, for alleging that he “sexually, physically, verbally, and emotionally abused [Kesha] to the point where [she] nearly lost her life,” according to an Rolling Stone article. Kesha sang with passion and even left some of the audience in tears.

Rapper Logic performed his song “1-800-273-8255,” which is named after the phone number for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Logic ended his performance with a powerful speech by addressing current political issues.

“To all the beautiful countries filled with culture, diversity, and thousands of years of history, you are not shitholes,” Logic said in his speech.

The Grammys night was filled with performances by DJ Khaled, Rihanna, Bryson Tiller, Kendrick Lamar, Sza, Elton John, Miley Cyrus, and many more talented artists, making it a night the music industry and viewers will remember forever.

*Photos courtesy of Entertainment.com, Time. com, ABC News, Twitter

Courtney Jackson is a student at Georgia State University, where she is studying journalism with a concentration in public relations and a minor in Spanish. Jackson is currently a staff reporter for HerCampus online magazine, and she was formerly a staff reporter for Georgia State’s newspaper, The Signal. She is a member of the National Association of Black Journalists. Her goal is to find an internship that will allow her to utilize skills that she will need in her print journalism career. When she isn’t busy studying or writing stories, she loves to go to fashion events and watch Scandal.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus