A Freshman’s Homecoming Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Homecoming.

Everybody has been talking about it, and it’s finally here. But if you’re a first-year student like me, you’re probably confused about all this homecoming talk. Like, what is homecoming in college? Well, it’s the most spirited and fun week of the year! Homecoming 2017 will be the best one yet…especially since we get to celebrate at our new stadium at Georgia State University. We are, #HomeATLast but first, here are all the details you need for the week.

Homecoming week kicks off with “Good Morning Georgia State” on Monday, October 16 from 8:00-11:00 a.m. Unity Plaza will have free food, giveaways, and music. Voting for the Royal Court also begins this day, so make sure you head on over to OrgSync and vote!

The fun continues on Tuesday, October 17 with “Spirit Plaza” at Unity Plaza from 12-1 p.m. There will be more treats and giveaways to celebrate the start of the week. Later that night is the block party, and this is probably the most fun event of the week. It’ll be at the Georgia State Stadium from 7:00-10:30 p.m.

The Campus Variety Show is Wednesday, October 18 in the ballroom of student center east from 7:00-10:00 p.m. This is a chance to watch your fellow students, clubs, and organizations showcase their special talents.

Thursday, October 19 is The Homecoming Golf Cart Parade. Come to Gilmer Street at 12 pm to see golf cart floats from the different organizations on campus! You’ll also get to see the 2017 Royal Court. That same night is the Royal Ball which will be at the Fernbank Museum of Art and History. Make sure you are dressed to impressed for a night of elegance, food, and music from 8:00 p.m.-12 a.m.

Friday, October 20, voting for the royal court ends. So again, make sure that you cast your vote on OrgSync!

Finally Saturday, October 21 is the Spotlight Homecoming Tailgate! Come decked out in blue and white and be ready to celebrate at the new Georgia State Stadium. There will be free food, giveaways, music, etc. This is also the time to visit different tents from the many organizations on campus with plenty of free food to follow. Later in the stadium be sure that you’re in the student section to cheer on our Panthers!

Homecoming is the best time of the year, and now that we know what’s going on, let’s participate GSU21! Get out there with a great group of friends and make some amazing memories at GSU! Be sure to support your Panthers and show your school spirit at these events. Happy Homecoming all!

(images and gifs from giphy.com)

Moya Leung is a journalism major with a concentration in public relations and a marketing minor at Georgia State University. Her interests include social media management, fashion, public relations, writing & taking pictures. Her goal is to be a Public Relations Director or Social Media Manager for a major fashion company. If it has to do with fashion, marketing or socializing, she's there. Enjoy some of her writings here and keep up with her on Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn and Twitter.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus