Fortune Onwuzuruike ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Meet Fortune Onwuzuruike, 2014 Homecoming Prince and SGA Vice President. You may have seen him strolling through plaza with the Powerful Pi Alpha chapter of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc., or leading a group of prospective students through our wonderful campus! Meet Fortune!

Name: Fortune Onwuzuruike

Age: 20

Hometown: Marietta, GA

Classification: Junior

Major: Health Informatics

Instagram & Twitter:  @Onwuzuruike9

Her Campus: What made you choose GSU?

Fortune Onwuzuruike: One word, Opportunity. By becoming a Georgia State student, you are surrounded by so many opportunities and attractions. We may not have that traditional campus [and] we may not have a lot of green space, but something that we do have between all these buildings is opportunity. Between the opportunity and the diversity, I did not see a better fit for me than GSU.

HC: What are you involved in on campus?

FO: Currently I am a Summer Success peer mentor, the Vice President of Student Services for our Student Government Association, a Welcome Center Tour Guide and a brother of the Powerful Pi Alpha chapter of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc. I am also the 2014-15 Homecoming Prince.

HC: What organization on campus are you a part of that is the most significant to you? Why?

FO: Being a summer success peer mentor would be my most significant activity. I had the opportunity of coming through Summer Success Academy and it really opened my eyes to the various opportunities here at GSU.  After coming through it, it was very important to me to give back and help to continue to build the program up. Two years later continuing to give back to those students is still very important to me. Mentoring the Summer Success students shows me how people can actually take it serious as a head start to their career and that I really can help guide people and help them succeed.

HC: Do you feel like any organization is helping to shape you and the man and career person that you hope to be in the future?

FO: Phi Beta Sigma has enhanced me to be more of man that I want to be. I’ve always had knowledge of what being a professional is, but when I became a brother of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc. they [enhanced] my knowledge of what being a true professional is. Simple things like know the difference between business casual and business formal came from them. They also helped shape my mindset that I can overcome any circumstance that it thrown at me.

HC: Pi Alpha was just featured on Watch the Yard and called “one of the smoothest chapters in the nation.” How did that make you feel?

FO: Honestly the recognition was truly a blessing. Seeing not only our hard work, but the hard work of our prophytes pay off was such a humbling experience. People don’t know but we work really hard, seeing all of our hard work pay off made us all feel good. I came into this brotherhood as a freshman and to see us grow and mature into a tight brotherhood is amazing. That is what got us here.

HC: How are you balancing school and being involved on campus?

FO: I have to be mature and be on top of myself. Work now, play later is what I’m always telling myself. Set my agenda and calendaring is a must for me. I’m really learning how to balance everything. I have had to drop some involvement to add something else to my plate. I’m slowly letting go of college involvement and moving into transitioning into the real world.

HC: What makes you, you?

FO: My determination, ambition, and mindset. If I want something I go and get it and that is what sets me apart from most.

HC: Where do you see yourself after graduation?

FO: Currently I am interning with the American Heart Association and would love to work there after graduation. In addition to seeking employment with them, I see myself trying to pursue my masters in Health Administration.

HC: What quote do you live by?

FO: “You miss 100 % of the shots you don’t take.”

HC: What is your best memory here at GSU?

FO: Winning 2014-2015 homecoming prince. Only a select few people get the opportunity at this title. It was surreal hearing them announce my name as the winner. Hearing people chanting my name and celebrating me, it was absolutely amazing.  

HC: Any advice for people interested in taking an active role in student leadership at GSU?

FO: A lot of people overthink stuff.  Be you. Do you. You can accomplish anything on this campus that you put your mind to. If you keep that mindset you can do nothing but succeed.

HC: Any advice for freshman here at GSU?

FO: Do not be scared to go out of your comfort zone.

HC: Do you have anything in the works?

FO: We (SGA) will be announcing soon the partial Meal Plan for 2016, something I was a big advocate for.

K. Miche' Thomas is a double major Marketing and Managerial Sciences student at Georgia State University. Upon her anticipated graduation in 2018 she plans to attend law school to pursue her dreams of becoming a Trademark & Patent Attorney. In her extra time she enjoys planning event and spending precious time with friends and family.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus