The Five Best Places to Volunteer for An Atlanta Artist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Are you interested in building a name for yourself, networking with likeminded individuals or simply want to give back to your community? If you’re an artist in and around the Atlanta region and are indeed interested in volunteering but are unsure of where to start, here’s a list of some of Atlanta’s best art organizations.

1. Museum of Contemporary Art

Whether you’re seeking a professional career in the arts, or are intrigued by Atlanta’s local art scene, MOCA GA, a modern styled museum in the south of Buckhead, is perfect for artist and admirers of art. With numerous exhibits, artist talks and opening receptions a year, MOCA GA is perfect for networking and understanding the logistics behind a museum.  

“MOCA GA’s mission is to collect and archive significant contemporary works by artists living and working in the state of Georgia. Our programs promote the visual arts by creating a forum for active interchange between artists and the surrounding community. Through avenues of advocacy, awareness, and accessibility, the museum also serves as a platform to launch local artists and their works into the global artistic conversation.” – MOCA GA.

If you’re interested in volunteering for MOCA GA, fill out their volunteering application here.

2. WonderRoot

If you’re looking for an organization that supports artist, offers public programming and brings a diverse voice to Atlanta, WonderRoot could be for you art organization soulmate. The Atlanta-based nonprofit, not only seeks to inspire social change through uniting local artist, but creates a platform for all artist, no matter the medium.

“We imagine an Atlanta with an aware and mobilized public. An Atlanta where place matters and change happens through an equitable cultural ecosystem and by the responsible sharing of resources. This will happen through an integration of the arts into active forms of city and community building where people of social difference have the agency to move and think freely for themselves and for others.” – WonderRoot

If you’re interested in volunteering for WonderRoot: fill out their volunteering application here.

3. Woodruff Arts Center

Setting standards for Atlanta and the South East, the Woodruff Art Center is legendary for keeping art in the center of Atlanta. If you’re interested in networking with leading art organizations such as the Alliance Theatre, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and High Museum of Art, Woodruff Art Center is the place the do that.

“Since its inception, The Woodruff Arts Center has grown into the most dynamic center for the visual and performing arts in the South and is among the top such centers in the nation. Today The Woodruff Arts Center includes the Alliance Theatre, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and High Museum of Art.” – Woodruff Arts Center 

4. VSA Arts

A world where art is accessible to all people is VSA Arts of Georgia’s’ vision. VSA Arts of Georgia is a non-profit organization that focuses on making art available to Georgians who are disabled or are living with low incomes. If providing a space for all artists is something that captivates you, VSA Arts could be perfect for you.

“VSA arts of Georgia has a long history of making the arts accessible to Georgians who are disabled and/or living with low income. The organization was founded by Don Robinson in 1974 as Hospital Audiences, with a mission to make the arts accessible to Georgians who are disabled, disadvantaged and institutionalized. Original programs included providing donated tickets to arts and cultural events and taking artists into human service agencies for performances and workshops.” – VSA arts of Georgia

If you’re interested in volunteering for VSA Arts: fill out their volunteering application here.

5. Paint Love

Paint Love is a non-profit organization that connects artist with other non-profits for a positive impact on youth. Essentially, Paint Love bridges the gap between fine artist and organizations that do good work. If you believe in the therapeutic benefits art can have one youth, Paint Love might be for you.  

“Out of love, we teach lessons, donate supplies, share stories, give hugs, and provide words of encouragement to help our students fully embrace the masterpieces they were created to be. The word paint denotes action on our part. We are taking action to make a difference in the lives of youth. And, of course, we are using lots of real paint in the process!” – Paint Love

If you’re interested in volunteering for Paint Love: fill out their volunteering application here.

The GSU chapter of Her Campus