This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Name: Eugene Butler

Age: 20

Hometown: Camilla, Georgia

Class: Junior

Major: Political Science, Pre-Law concentration

Instagram: @Nohero_justGeno 

Who is the real Eugene?

“I am very task-oriented and once I am in business mode, that’s my personality. I’m very type- A. I like to get things done and I like for people to be effective. However, I am the complete opposite when I’m not in business mode and with my friends. I’m a child at heart, honestly. I’m very playful.”

Why don’t you portray your playfulness at school?

“I believe there is a time and place for everything. My image is everything and I only want to show a certain side of me at school. I come to school for education and business; I give what I’m going for. In my friendships, I give them playfulness because that’s what I want in those relationships. I want light-hearted fun.”

What are you involved in at Georgia State?

“I’m involved in a lot of mentoring organizations such as: Campus Pals and Peerless Perfection. I’m also the President of Spotlight Programs Board, a member of Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society, a member of the National Honor Society for Collegiate Scholars, a Tour Guide for the GSU Welcome Center, and a member of the National Law Student Association.”

Did you have any goals that you set when you first came in as the President of Spotlight?

“I don’t think I had specific goals for Spotlight, except for me to be the best President I could be. I didn’t even originally have the goal to be President of Spotlight, it just happened.”

So, what are you life goals?

“I want to become a lawyer and then become a judge. Also, this may seem weird, but I want to officiate weddings and go to culinary arts school. I just want to be highly versed and have multiple skills.”  

What are you passionate about?

“’I’m passionate about helping people; that’s why I want to be a lawyer and eventually become a judge. I want to become a judge that facilitates over cases like the Trayvon Martin case, so there can be real justice.”

Are you interested in criminal law?

“I’m actually interested in corporate law. I don’t like high-stress environments so I don’t believe I’ll be practicing law for long.”

What is your path track for becoming a lawyer?

“I have one more year at GSU as an undergraduate student. Then I plan on either going to NYU or Georgia State Law School. If I attend GSU’s law school, I plan on getting a MBA and Juris Doctorate at the same time. Hopefully within five years, after graduating law school, I’ll become a judge.”

Switching gears, describe your typical Saturday night.

“I’m usually just hanging out with friends and looking for the move, whatever that may be. We could all just go out to eat, a kickback, party, or whatever. As long as I’m with them, I’m bound to have fun.”

If you could have one night you could relive with your friends, what would it be?

“I don’t think I’ve had that night yet… Not one that I would want to relive anyway. *laughs* But I believe that night is coming very soon.”

What’s the most embarrassing thing that’s ever happened to you?

“When I was younger, my uncle used to cut hair. A lot of my friends used to get the Nike check shaved in their heads, but I didn’t want to look the same as everyone else. I told my uncle I wanted to be different, and I wanted the word ‘Nike’ across the back of my head. Strangely, he actually complied and shaved it in my head. I was definitely clowned until my next hair cut.”

Who has been your greatest mentor at Georgia State?

“I actually don’t have a mentor. That’s one of the things that I never got into. I have a lot of older people around me, but I wouldn’t necessarily say they are my mentors. I have great friends who make me better. My friends are diverse, so I get something from each of them.”

Who are your closest friends?

“My closest friends at Georgia State are Domonique Marseille, Shamari Southwell, and Matthew Hunter. I think they are all so different but our friendships work.”

Referring back to your involvement, how are you able to mentor others, but you haven’t had a mentor yourself?

“I’m able to mentor from my experiences. A quote that I live by is, ‘A smart person learns from the mistakes they make, and a wise person learns from the mistake of others.’”

What has been the greatest memory, so far, of this school year?

“I received ‘Outstanding Student Leader’ in the entire south region at NACA [National Association for Campus Activities].”

Describe your experience in the Date Auction.

“That was definitely out of the norm for me; completely out of my comfort zone. I could’ve quit so many times. But looking back, I’m glad I did it. It was a great experience and I would definitely do it again.

Fun Facts

Interesting Fact: I don’t curse, at all.

Favorite Artist(s): Gucci Mane & Future

One person you cannot live without: My mom

Favorite Restaurant: Sweet Auburn Seafood

Celebrity Crush: Kelly Rowland

Nia Ballard is a junior at Georgia State University, majoring in Journalism and minoring in Theatre and Spanish. Traveling is her passion and she hopes her career in the PR industry will allow her to see the world. She loves going on new adventures, meeting new people, going to concerts, singing Beyonce Karaoke, Frozen Yogurt (more like addicted to), history documentaries, and binge-watching Gossip Girl. 
The GSU chapter of Her Campus