Back to School : GSU Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Welcome Back!

It’s that time of year again… back to school! If you’re reading this hopefully you’ve enjoyed your summer, because for about the next three months it’s crunch time!

Being in the heart of Atlanta, there’s always something going on in the city or on campus. However, it’s important to keep your eyes on the prize, which is passing your classes. Finding balance between your social and work life will determine how well you will do. Don’t hesitate to tell your friends “no” when they ask you to go out because you have a deadline to meet. They’ll understand, and there will be more opportunities to go out and make crazy memories.

Take the time to know your way of learning. Don’t tell yourself you can study while watching a new episode of How To Get Away With Murder, when you will only study during the commercial breaks.

Find a quiet study environment where you can focus with no distractions. You can go to the upper levels of the library, Starbucks in the Hurt Building, or the sitting area on the third floor of Student Center East. Another study spot walking distance from campus is Brick Stone Cafe on Broad Street. It’s a nice, quiet “mom and pop” restaurant with great food if you ever want a quick bite after class.

Organizing your week can make your days a lot easier. Personally, I cannot rely on myself to check a to-do list everyday. Seeing my tasks and due dates mapped out, even at a quick glance, helps. It depends on the person and their preference when it comes to scheduling, but be honest with yourself when you are deciding which way works best for you.

Between the all-nighters and nerve-wracking tests, an outlet can come in handy. Exercise helps to improve your mental health and mood. The recreation center on campus offers free exercise classes, such as cycling, kickboxing, yoga and zumba. Get a workout buddy and let off some steam!

If work, school and your personal life becomes too much to handle at the moment there is nothing wrong with seeking help. The Counseling and Testing Center on campus is located in the Citizens Trust Bank building, Suite 200A. It doesn’t make you any different for talking to someone; it just means you are human

As I previously stated we are an urban campus in the heart of the city, there is always something Atlanta has to offer in exchange for a good time. On campus, Spotlight coordinates many programs throughout the school year. They put together Pantherpalooza, Greek showcases, talent shows, distinguished speakers series, and many more activities.  You can follow them on social media to get updates on upcoming events that may interest you and your friends.

If you are into spoken word and theatre there are two neat places not far from campus. Java Monkey is one of the best spoken word venues in Atlanta. They have open mic, Java Monkey Speaks, every Sunday. Also, The Basement Theatre is an improv comedy show hosted on weeknights and weekends. Both locations are really relaxed and a great way to unwind and bond with friends.

Throughout the school year make sure to cut out time for yourself. We get so busy we forget to regroup and recollect ourselves after the workday is done.

Good luck this semester Panthers!

Sierra Jenkins is currently a student at Georgia State University studying journalism and African American studies. Jenkins aspires to enlighten and inform others through her writing. She believes it is important to have conversations and create dialogue around topics that aren't always discussed publicly. Jenkins strives to break societal barriers through her use of words and set an example for other women from all walks of life.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus