This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

The 90th Academy Awards premiered tonight Sunday, March 4. At this year’s Oscars, the nominations are more diverse. 

If you recall two years ago, Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith boycotted the Oscars because of the lack of diversity in the Oscar nominees. It’s safe to say that two years later, the Oscar nominations are more diverse.

One of the films that is nominated is “Get Out” directed by Jordan Peele, which is nominated for Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Original Screenplay. The film did well making $176,040,665, according to the Box Office Mojo.

Daniel Kaluuya and Denzel Washington are nominated for Best Actor. Daniel Kaluuya is nominated for “Get Out”, while Denzel Washington is nominated for his performance in “Roman J. Israel, Esq.”

For Best Supporting Actress, Octavia Spencer is nominated for her performance in the movie “The Shape of Water,” and Mary J. Blidge is nominated for her supporting role in “Mudbound.” Blidge is also nominated for Best Song, co-writing the song “Mighty River” for Mudbound.

Not only are some of the nominees African American, but there are also some more people of color nominated.

Guillermo Del Toro for his performance in the movie “The Shape of Water” is the fifth Latin American to be nominated, along with Jordan Peele being the fifth African-American director being nominated.

Let’s not forget about the powerful women.

Dee Rees is nominated for the Best Adapted Screenplay, making her the first African American woman nominated for this category. Also, Rachel Morrison is the first woman nominated for Best Cinematography.

This year’s Oscars is filled with many talented people of color and black magic is being represented well at the Oscars this year.

*Photo credit: E! Online, justjared.com, npr.com 

Courtney Jackson is a student at Georgia State University, where she is studying journalism with a concentration in public relations and a minor in Spanish. Jackson is currently a staff reporter for HerCampus online magazine, and she was formerly a staff reporter for Georgia State’s newspaper, The Signal. She is a member of the National Association of Black Journalists. Her goal is to find an internship that will allow her to utilize skills that she will need in her print journalism career. When she isn’t busy studying or writing stories, she loves to go to fashion events and watch Scandal.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus