6 Things To Do In Atlanta This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Atlanta is heating up and the chill of winter winds can no longer keep us inside. With spring being here, there are endless ways to appreciate the season. Here is your guide to enjoying Atlanta’s warm weather while saving money or splurging a little.

Free things to do on and off campus:

1. Urban Jungle: A Daytime Fashion Show

Fashion meets the Atlanta cityscape during Georgia State Spotlight Programs Board’s fashion show in Unity Plaza. The show is free for Georgia State students with a Panther ID and will showcase fashions by student clothing lines and local boutiques. The event will be held March 26 from noon to 2 pm.

2. Spotlight Comedy Corner

If you love laughing, Blue Comedy Corner is the event for you. Georgia State students are free with a Panther ID. During the night, improvisational humor and live entertainment will be abound in the Cinefest Film theater March 31 from 7-9pm.

3. Free Park Day

Spend a weekend exploring the great outdoors Sat. – Sun. on April 18- 19 visiting a national park for free. Try visiting the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area, one of the closest national parks to Atlanta. With park trails and rental boating equipment, the possibilities are boundless for nature lovers.

4. Inman Park Festival

From April 25-26 noon to 6 pm, Inman Park Spring Festival will be free and in full effect. If you’re wondering where Inman Park is, it is east of downtown Atlanta, a six minute drive away. The event’s parade will kick off on Saturday at 2 pm on Edgewood Ave. and Euclid Ave. then end at Austin Avenue. Foods ranging from pizza to funnel cakes will be sold along with goods from the festival’s various unique markets.

Splurge worthy activities:

5. SweetWater 420 Festival

For those 21 or over, SweetWater 420 Festival is the place to be. However, 18+ who legally can’t drink, are welcomed too. The festival consists of tasting SweetWater’s numerous brews, partying to dance music, watching professional comedy shows, and even hearing Snoop Dog. From April 17-19, this weekend will be one to remember and is just a short walk from campus to Centennial Olympic Park. Tickets are priced $42 to $265.

6. Six Flags

If you love the thrill of riding roller coasters, Six Flags is a place you should visit this spring. It is best to visit the theme park on a weekend because its hours are 10 am to 9 pm on Saturdays and 10:30 am to 8 pm on Sundays. The park’s different attractions include Gotham City, Georgia, U.S.A. and Peachtree Square. Adult tickets are $62 for general admission but discounted ones are available on the Six Flags website.

This spring semester ends in less than two months. We hope these tips will help you have fun in the sun while being in the bustling city of Atlanta. Enjoy!

Lauren Booker is a journalism major concentrating in print at Georgia State University. In addition to being a writer for Her Campus, she also works as the associate news editor at The Signal newspaper at Georgia State. After graduation, she hope to continue writing for print and online publications.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus