rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

4 Self-Care Podcasts that You Should Tune Into

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Who doesn’t love a good podcast? I know that I do, and what is even better are the podcasts that contribute to your self care and mental health. While podcasts have always been around, they have certainly become more relevant and timely, especially in an era where it seems like the world is at the touch of your fingers. Sometimes that is good and sometimes, it can be a little overwhelming but that is why you have to use this to your advantage.

Below, I have outlined some podcasts that can contribute to your mental health and make you feel like your best friend is right next to you. The best part about them? There are episodes for days on end and topics on just about everything, so you don’t have to worry about not being able to find something that can relate to! Take a look below:

Black Girl in Om (BGIO)

Where do I begin with Black Girl in Om? I can start in so many places, but the first word that comes to mind is calm. These women have such a presence about them that is hard to disagree with when they start to speak. When you are truly looking for those voices of reason that will give it to you honest with the best practices and tools for exemplifying self care in your own life, Lauren Ash and Deun Ivory are you women. Their trajectory explores the places that we usually do not think of that lie between mind, body, soul and space. Intrigued? We hope so, because you are already missing out on a truly life changing and soul challenging experience. Be sure to add them to your list of downloads!

Source

hey, girl. Podcast

When you speak of self care, one cannot speak without soulfully saying Alex Elle’s name. In my mind, I call her the mother or the matriarch of self care. Honestly, how can you talk about the practice without saying her name first? Impossible. Some of us know Alex from tumblr, and then her books “Words from a Wanderer”, “Love in My Language” and more recently “Neon Soul”. All embodying some stage or element of self care. Nonetheless, this creative, mother, wife and woman embodies what we truly know self care to be, which is ultimately guiding your way back to your center. When you are needing that midday pick up or that end of the day reassurance, this is one woman who can aid in what you are looking for.

Source

My Taught You

I personally think that the best approach to self care is one where can get different perspectives. Myleik Teele, the CEO of CurlBox offers that to her listeners. While Teele is not your societal idea of self care, she is constantly sharing her journey which in return encourages listeners to be their best self. Yes, Teele does have a business mind but she offers so many gems when it comes to therapy, work life balance, living your best life and even stories of success on every level she has reached.

Source

Therapy for Black Girls

Doesn’t the title say it all? It is literally just that, with the disclaimer of warning us to not use this podcast a viable replacement to real therapeutic practices. Atlanta based Joy Harden Bradford’s goal is to break the stigma surrounding black women and mental health, which she does on a daily considering that she has made psychology her career. In the black community, there is such a stigma around getting the help that you need. It is as though, seeing a therapist makes you “crazy” and sitting around letting problems fester makes you strong. One word of advice? Don’t hurt yourself sis. Go get the help, and if you have to start with a podcast convincing you to do so, then go ahead. Be sure to check out therapyforblackgirls.com to find out how to continue a mental health journey or how to start yours.

Source

So what exactly is self care? A few words to describe it are diverse and endless. The journey of self care is a path that you must pave on your own and definitely go beyond instagram posts giving an illusion of self care and a few bath bombs because Pinterest told you so. If anything, this is something that you have to agree with within yourself and understand that you are ultimately facing yourself head on.

Do you have suggestions for your favorite podcasts? Do you practice self care? If yes, share with us on Instagram @hercampusgsu.

Cydney Maria (Rhines) is a creative writer, journalist and photographer located in Atlanta, Ga. She is currently a student at Georgia State University studying journalism and english. She coins her brand as something curated beautifully for those who may not feel that beauty. Her main focus is mental health, social issues, digital design and of course the beauty of black girl magic. Her main goal is to constantly write creative content that fills a need. She is currently published accross multiple platforms and looks to continue her current level of work after she graduates from GSU. Check this creative out!