3 Things You Should Add to Your Morning Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Pic source

If you’re like me, mornings are your favorite and you’ve already established a great morning routine. For my beautiful people who aren’t, mornings are always a hassle and you rather sleep in till 1 pm. Whichever one you are, mornings regardless are extremely important. So below I’ve compiled a few key things that anyone could add to their mornings for more productivity, a happier mood and have an overall intentionally great day.

#1: Silence: Meditation/Gratitude/Prayer

As soon as you wake up, it’s important to feed your mind with it’s proper nutrients. Just like your body has it’s need, so does your mind. I know a lot people go straight to their social media accounts or emails and this can already set you into stressful setting causing you into a negative mindset. TRY THIS: Meditation, practicing gratitude or prayer. Create your own ritual that can be done within five to ten minutes, of course longer if you want. If you haven’t meditated before, try apps like Calm or Headspace that specifically have sessions for beginners like you.

#2: Self-Growth/Reflection: Affirmations and Journaling

I put this in my morning routine if I’m getting up earlier than I usually do, affirmations are key to self-confidence, and not only beneficial to yourself but also other people that you interact with. Journaling is great for reflecting. It helps also with getting out all your ideas, things to do and days activities so you can keep a clear mind.

Pic source

#3: Move: Water and Stretches/Yoga/Workout

After being in bed for at least 6 hours, your body gets stiff and you need to wake it up! Doing cardio at the gym or some simple stretches can give you a powerful start to your day. A great way to stay motivated to moving every morning, is by having your workout gear ready to put on as soon as you get up. It’ll be easier to stick to if everything is already laid out for you! Also HYDRATE. Have a bottle of water next to your bed to make it easier to drink when you wake up. Or before you eat breakfast try squeezing fresh lemon into a glass of warm water to fire up your metabolism and flush out toxins. I promise you, your body and mind will thank you for doing this everyday.

Pic source

Bonus!: A motivating podcast playing in the background while you’re getting dressed, journaling or walking to class is a great way to motivate you for the day ahead. Or create a playlist of music that makes you feel great in the morning, that can be something to get you hype like 21 Savage to maybe something soothing like Daniel Caesar. For me, I know Gospel always puts me in a great mood. Anything that makes you feel good or is mentally stimulating, will work! A few I would avoid are heavy sounds, like rock or DMX. Choose something that reflects how you want to feel throughout the day.

Resources:

Great morning stretches, workouts & yoga here.

Podcasts & motivational speeches // Set Apart Girl, Eric Thomas and more here.

A list of great affirmations here.

How to be an overall morning person here.

My gospel playlist here on Apple Music.

Journaling ideas here.

Hopefully you add these 3 tips to your daily morning routine and they help aid in a better day!

xoxo, HCGSU

Brie Black is a sophomore at Georgia State University, majoring in Journalism. Coming from Farmington Hills, MI, Brie enjoys a good book, spoken word, working out and studying God's word. Nothing can stop Brie from reaching her goals, her ambition and strong relationship with God keeps her willing to create the best content for her readers and make it as an editor-in-chief of her future magazine line. Along with being a writer and blogger, Brie is apart of Pretty Girls Sweat and Pinky Promise. You can keep up with Brie on all social media platforms @allthingsbrie and LinkedIn.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus