1st Presidential Debate: Clinton vs. Trump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Monday night, September 26th, was the night of the most talked and tweeted about Presidential Debate in history. Over 84 million people tuned in to watch the debates between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump. Although Trump and his factious attitudes and positions on many economic and political policies attracted most of the viewers, most of the social media presence agree that Clinton prevailed in the debates.

This debate’s viewership took place over the first Obama-Romney in 2012. “Nightly News Anchor” Lester Holt, whom was also the moderator for Monday’s debate, touched on issues such as the economy, foreign affairs, terrorism and the environment. One of the most talked about moments of the debates was the issue of Trump’s tax returns. Clinton claimed Trump was hiding something due to his refusal to release them, which she believes has to do with the long trail of leaving unpaid workers and people feeling like they have been cheated by Trump.

Other notable moments included social media’s take on Trump’s infamous smirk and also Clinton’s “shimmy.” As stated before, Trump was the most talked about figure who attracted the viewers, although, this wasn’t a good thing according to social media outlets. On Facebook, Trump was the share of the conversation by around 75% with Clinton at 25%, according to CNN. By the end of the night and according to a CNN/ORC Poll of voters who watched the debate, Clinton was deemed the winner by 62% while Trump lost at 27% of voters being on his side.

My name is Mirakle Stillman and I am currently a student at Georgia State University. My major is Journalism with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Film and Video. I am a part of HerCampus GSU where I work as a Public Relations Director as well as writing editorials. I plan on going into the media fields that include broadcast journalism, public relations, and television/radio production. I love chocolate chip cookies, dogs, contemporary hip hop, hair, shopping and laughing for hours at a time! I hope to make my voice heard one day on multiple platforms. XOXO
I am junior at Georgia State University, majoring in Journalism with a concentration in Public Relations and a minoring in Marketing. I hold executive positions in two organizations on campus: Director of Public Relations for EmpowHER and Vice President of Her Campus Georgia State Chapter Outside of school, I am Director of Public Relations/Marketing of AREA, Atlanta's Resource for Entertainment and Arts; along with being a part of the professional performing ensemble at AREA. In my free time, I write for my lifestyle blog, As Told By Tay.