clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

11 Things I Wish I Knew Freshmen Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

As Senior Year comes to a close and Graduation is upon us, I can’t help but to think back on these last 4.5 years at Georgia State University. The good, the bad, the ugly, the tears, and those amazing moments that will forever be cherished. As we get ready to turn our tassels, there are a few reminders and helpful advice that I want to leave behind, and that I wish someone would have told me back in 2011. Here are 11 things I wish I knew during my freshmen year of college.

photo

Don’t buy books from the on-campus bookstore

Seriously. waste. of. money. Campus bookstores will forever charge unnecessary prices for the same book that you can find online for a cheaper price. Even if your professor stresses getting your book for the second day of class, just let them know it’s on the way. Chegg and Amazon are your best friends. Also, don’t buy the book if you know the class will not be using it, check it out in the library for those assignments that are necessary to use it.

Save your refund check

If you are blessed with a refund check, put some of it in your savings account. Don’t spend all of your extra money at the mall or the Apple store. Something down the road during the semester may come up that you could use it for and it will come in handy.

Don’t take so many difficult classes in one semester

Trust me when I say, you will regret it and your GPA will suffer. If you can, break up your harder classes and focus on what you can handle. Taking multiple rigorous classes in one semester has stress written all over it, and you will spend the semester hating yourself for it.

Your life will not go how you plan

Most of us have a goal in mind about how we want our college life to go, and a step by step playlist for after graduation. For some it does actually happen how they plan, but not all of the time. Life will not go according to your plan and we have to learn how to stay flexible.  Yes, it’s frustrating not accomplishing something you want, but there will always be another opportunity right after.

You may not end college with the same group of friends you started with

Friends will either come and go, or they will become those people who will be in your life for a very long time. Some friends have the same group all 4 years, but if you’re one of those groups of friends that happened to split, just know it will be okay. Some people are only in your life for a short period of time, but there are so many other amazing people that will come into your life and fill the gap even better.

Get a mentor

You need a mentor. Either an upperclassmen to take you under their wing, a professor, or someone in your career field that will be there to help, give you advice, make connections for you, etc. Your college experience will definitely blossom in the right ways with that special connection.

Go to office hours

I confess… I did not go to office hours. I was either busy, had another class, or just felt awkward because I didn’t really speak with my professor, but please utilize that time. Get to know your professors, talk about the class, make sure you understand the work. It may even lead to you receiving extra credit in the class or on a test!

Take advantage of the student discounts

Take advantage of them everywhere! Restaurants, books, technology, etc. Look up apps and online discounts, they will help save money in tremendous ways.

Try your best not to just “get through” college

I know we all have those moments when we’re “just trying to make it to Thursday,” or doing the least we can on assignments and papers just to turn them in, but don’t forget to get what you came to college for. Try not to be lazy, procrastinate, stay in your room, not go out, miss events because they all add to your college experience.

Go to the Rec center

Where else can you work out, enjoy fitness classes, play basketball, go swimming for free? Well technically it’s not free because your tuition pays for it, but you should really make time to go a couple of times a month during the semester. It can also be a stress reliever from classes.

Document the memories

College days will swiftly pass and it’ll be the night before graduation day before you know it. So take as many pictures and go on as many trips as possible. Create a scrapbook if you’re the decorative type, or just keep a photo album handy on your computer. You’ll always have those memories to keep and look back knowing these were the best days of your life.

To those of you who have not yet graduated, I hope you take these lessons and tips into consideration. And to the fall class of 2015, WE MADE IT. Happy Graduation Eve!

photo

Ashley Drayton is an alumna of Georgia State University, with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Journalism. Since being involved with Her Campus, she was co-founder and president of the GSU chapter, former chapter advisor of 5-8 college chapters, and wrote as a national contributing writer. Her dream job/career is to become a top writer, editor, blogger.