This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Grinnell chapter.

BASICS

Name: Kirsten Gillis

Age: 19

Hometown: Wheaton, IL (no, I’m not super conservative!)

GRINNELL LIFE

Year: First-Year!

Major: Intending on Biochemistry with a Neuroscience Concentration.

One Thing You Like About Grinnell: I feel like I’m amongst all friends here, even if I don’t talk to everyone and not everyone likes each other. It’s so wonderful to be around people who think the way I do but also challenge my own beliefs.

One Thing You’d Like to Change about Grinnell: More fruit in the D-Hall please :(

LOVE LIFE

Single or Taken: Taken!

Perfect Date: A nice homemade dinner out in a forest preserve with a lake a bit before the sun sets. It’s romantic and easy to do!

Celebrity Girl Crush: Really it’s a tie between Emma Watson and Natalie Portman—they’re both such beautiful and talented women.

Celebrity Guy Crush: Gotta say Chris Pratt is pretty dang adorable and talented.

Turn Ons: Empathy and the ability to accept others’ ideas. Oh, I guess having dark hair and freckles helps too.

Pet Peeves: People chewing gum loudly. Don’t do it.

FAVORITES

Hobbies: I love playing flute and piano, crocheting, hording scarves, cooking vegan food, playing video games, and writing letters to my friends.

Favorite Color: Light pink, it’s the perfect balance between cute and calm.

Favorite Smell: Spring air just after it’s rained. The combo of the floral aromas and the rain is heavenly.

Favorite Nickname: K Gillz

Favorite Word: Snugly. If you know me, you know it one of the most over-used words in my vocabulary because it perfectly describes anything I adore.

Favorite Song: Blue Ridge Mountains – Fleet Foxes

Favorite Thing About Yourself: I have an interesting brown speck in the middle of the green part of my eye that I always found pretty cute and different.

PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE

Favorite Summer Memory: Going up to northern Michigan with my best friend and having deep talks while exploring the dunes and trails.

Craziest thing you’ve ever done: One time fed a huge manta ray? I am not a daredevil.

What You’re Thinking About Right Now: How wonderful my friends here are!

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Hopefully having a science-related job and contributing something to society, like owning 500 succulents and cacti.

Dream Job: My dream job is to one day be a neuroscientist, the nervous system is mind-bogglingly complex. Our own brains realize they are complicated–it’s beautiful.

One Place You’ve Always Wanted to Visit: New Zealand. Who wouldn’t want to visit Hobbiton?

WIT & WISDOM

Role Model: Neil DeGrasse Tyson, we gotta badass over here!

Guilty pleasure: Ruffles chips… can’t say I have never finished a whole big bag of them in one sitting.

Favorite Piece of Advice You’ve Ever Received: You can’t please everyone; it just isn’t possible.

Hello! I'm Maya, and I spend 75% of my day in some form of hibernation.
Dana Sherry is a Her Campus Contributing writer from Brooklyn, New York. She is a History major and a record-holding member of Grinnell's conference-winning swim team. Do not be fooled by the Lilly and bows: in her spare time, Dana is a dirty rap enthusiast and analyst. She also enjoys house music, interacting with small children and has an extensive collection of Essie and OPI nail polish that she (usually) does not mind sharing with her grateful friends.