Connie Coleman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Grinnell chapter.

Constance “Connie” Coleman is arguably the face of Grinnell College. As the chief receptionist at the central Joe Rosenfeld Center, she sees the comings and goings of students, faculty and staff year in and year out. Known for her daily inspirational quotes and commitment to greeting each person who walks by her desk, Connie exemplifies the “pay it forward” philosophy. Yet while the majority of Grinnellians interact with her on a daily basis, few people know much about the woman behind the reception desk. Inspired by her positivity and curious about the wisdom she has gained from her unique vantage point, we sat down with Connie to learn more.

How long have you worked at Grinnell? What brought you here?

I’ve worked at Grinnell for 21 years– longer than most students here have been alive. I was originally hired as a baker, but after I damaged tendons in my shoulder, I took a job at the JRC reception desk.

What’s something that most people don’t know about you?

I have lived in the tiny town of Malcolm, IA (pop. 300) my whole life. I grew up on a farm three streets down from the house I live in now. Spending your whole life in one place isn’t too common these days, but having a lifelong connection to Malcolm has given me such a solid grounding in community and character.

What keeps you so positive?

I’m not sure how common this is among young people, and young Grinnellians in particular, but I draw a lot of strength from my faith. At a young age, I lost a lot of family members due to freak accidents. It makes you realize how short life is, and that no matter how much you plan for, there are circumstances beyond your control. Whether or not you belong to an organized religion, it is so important to have a framework that holds you to a higher purpose, that reminds you to find meaning in life despite inequities and hardships.

If you could give once piece of advice to Grinnell students, what would it be?

Slow down! No matter what happens here, you will survive. [Pause.] And you will succeed.

Katy is the Her Campus Correspondent for Grinnell College. She is a junior psychology major and plans to go to graduate school for clinical psychology. In her spare time, she enjoys photography, skiing, shopping, expanding her music collection, traveling and of course, coming home to her dogs (and the rest of her family).