This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

On Wednesday, March 27th, I gathered with students and professors alike to watch the film Zag Stories: Reclaimed and Reframed. So many people showed up to watch the film that they had to ask some to leave and opened up Wolff Auditorium as an overflow room to accommodate the audience. The movie was created by a team of almost exclusively freshman and was a documentary about people associated with Gonzaga and the experiences that they have had as a minority. Interviewees included a Chicana student, a professor of Communication Studies, an African American student and an alumni. The people listed recalled instances when they felt that they were treated differently on campus due their association with a minority group. When addressing how they were treated differently, some of the respondents listed small, seemingly insignificant things they found hurtful and alienating. Others discussed there weren’t specific instances they could isolate because it just seemed to happen regularly and almost be an inherent part of Gonzaga. To them it wasn’t certain things people said or isolated actions, it was how they were treated nearly all the time by most people. It had become the campus climate they were now accustomed to.

Not only did the documentary address the experiences of those interviewed in the film, but it also included the results from the climate survey conducted recently. This survey revealed information about how both students and faculty have witnessed people being treated. The statistics presented were baffling and effectively illustrate the place that the Gonzaga community is presently at.

Following the showing, there was time to discuss the meaning and content of the film with the crafters of the project and other viewers. The main topic of discussion was Gonzaga claims to be a university with a diverse population and yet there are prominent disparities among the treatment of people. August Corppetts, a freshman studying political science, described Gonzaga’s climate very eloquently when she said, “Gonzaga glorifies diversity but doesn’t support it”. While many at Gonzaga are happy and find themselves to be treated well, it is important to recognize not everyone feels this way. As students of a Jesuit university built on the foundation of social justice it is our job to speak up and help those who are experiencing inequality. Where do you see inequality in our community? How will you use your voice to help a fellow Zag next time you witness inequality?

Due to the positive response and interest in the documentary, a second viewing on campus will be held on Thursday, April 12th at 7:00pm in the Hemmingson Auditorium, and it will also be available on Vimeo that same night! I highly encourage anyone and everyone to watch this film and learn about the experiences our peers at Gonzaga are having. This affects Gonzaga as a whole as we influence many different people’s experience here as a Zag.