This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

Sexual assault is becoming more and more prevalent on college campuses across the nation. Some developers have taken action by creating phone applications that try to prevent sexual assault from continuing.  Here are a few of the best apps on the market!

Apps that provide information and resources for victims of sexual assault

Safe Helpline 

This app provides users with information on reducing the risks of sexual assault, the effects it has on victims, and insight on what to do if you are a victim of sexual assault. This app is available on IOS and Android. 

Reach Out Editions 

This app can be customized for each institution that adopts the platform. However, your institution does not need to be a user of the interface for you to utilize its step-by-step guide of what to do after being assaulted, evidence protector, and information on local medical care. It also provides campus resources, policies, and legal advice for victims of sexual assault. 

Depending on the institution, this app also tackles topics such as depression, substance abuse, bullying, eating disorders, unhealthy relationships, and much more. Furthermore, this app is 100% anonymous and aims to empower people in need of support. 

Apps that alert family and friends of potential danger 

bSafe 

bSafe’s aims to make users feel safe and connected wherever they go. It allows an unlimited number of friends to track you whether you are on a run or out on the town. This app allows users to alert family and friends with one tap when they begin to feel unsafe. When alerted, the app will begin broadcasting and recording audio and location evidence. This data can easily be shared with police. 

More features include: allowing users to check-in with family and friends, fake a call for an excuse if they begin to feel uncomfortable, and allow access for friends and family to track you. 

OnWatchOnCampus 

This app allows users to establish a few “guardians” who will be alerted if you do not check-in within a certain amount of time. If time runs out, a GPS location will be sent to the pre-selected contacts and alert them of any potential danger. 

Additionally, OnWatchOnCampus lets you send a message to your contacts to let them know you arrived at your destination safely. If there is danger, this app will allow you to contact guardians, campus police, and 911 with one tap!

Always try to be safe out there collegiettes! Use these tools so you never have to walk home alone at night.