This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

Dear Sissy,

On Monday, June 19th, 2017, at 7:30 pm, you will be reading the final page of your high school story. A story about a girl who managed to light up opposite sides of the world, making friends no matter what the circumstances were, and making sure her sister always had a best friend (even when she didn’t deserve one). You’re almost 18, you’re older now, and it really doesn’t seem like it’s been almost two decades since the day I met you for the first time and you gave me a jar of gummies (I was very suspicious of your motives). The point is, your whole life is now waiting for you, it’s an open field and I’m so excited to see you run.

When you step into that hallway a few minutes before you sign off on this chapter of your life, I pray that you think about all the good things that have helped you get to where you are. When it’s time for you to walk down those aisles and step up on that stage to take your seat in front of hundreds of people who love you, I hope you smile. And not that little side smile thing you do when you’re shy. That giant OH MY FREAKING GOD THIS IS HAPPENING smile.

It’s time for you to realize a new chapter of your life is about to start.  As you sit in that front row (shout out to A and B last names) waiting for everyone to finish their speeches, I hope you take in every little thing.  I hope you listen to the things they say because when those people speak to you on graduation, when they share that stage with you, know those people love you and have played a crucial role in shaping who you are now. Soak it all up – the smiles, the tears, the words, your friends and family. But most of all, engrave in your memory the butterflies fluttering up a storm in your stomach – the kind of butterflies that happen only a handful of times throughout our lives.

Remember when you’re ready to step up on stage, you should walk slowly (careful with those heels) because this is a walk you’ll take only once. And remember to say thank you to the man upstairs for all the amazing things you’ve accomplished.  Know that as soon as your name is called I will be screaming for you (please try to hear me over your insane friends).

When they finally say those words that set your class free to start the rest of your lives, I hope you throw your cap as high as you possibly can. I hope you get your hair all messed up and you hug your best friends and scream “WE DID IT!” Because, little sister, you have done so much, even more than you might ever really understand. When you step out of the auditorium you won’t be just a high school girl anymore. You will be the beginnings of an amazing woman, one who will touch the world and change it with every idea and every word.

Know that even though you’re not a fan of personal space invasion, I will be the first one to attack you and pick you up and hug you so freaking tight.

As you move on to the next book, I pray you find passion, adventure, and joy in everything you choose to do.  I pray you stand up for what you believe in and do the right thing, even if it seems like the entire universe it telling you not to. Know you will make mistakes, probably more mistakes than successes, but that’s okay because everything always falls into place eventually.  Follow your heart, never give up on dreams, and trust your gut. I know you will become an inspiring, beautiful, fearless woman and I hope you know that too. 

But most of all, know that (as you have been for me) I will always be here.  Helping you make it through the pattern of ups and downs of life.

I don’t know how to tell you how proud I am of you – how proud I am to tell everyone I meet THAT’S MY LITTLE SISTER.

I love you sissy, and may the odds be ever in your favor.

Lelê