Netflix Originals You Should Be Watching

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

Netflix has proven to be a fantastic source for binge-watching your favorite television series and movies.  However, Netflix has started filming it’s own series and uploading them for us to watch. Here are some amazing Netflix Originals that are worth the binge!

1) Black Mirror

Set in the near-future, Black Mirror has proven to be a show that audiences get hooked on instantly due to the plot’s relevance to our current lives. The series is centered around the unseen consequences that could come from new technologies, and the dark themes which surround modern society create parallel ideas and thoughts on how we as a society live.  With each episode being a different instance of how technology can go wrong, it is easy to get hooked on this series, depending on which episode has you wanting one… more… episode!

2) A Series of Unfortunate Events

This Netflix Original is the re-creation of the classic book series by Lemony Snicket we all remember AT LEAST hearing about.  This series closely follows the books, taking us back to our childhood dread when reading about the poor Baudelaires children’s lives. The characters are complex and the stories are exciting, making this highly acclaimed series one that is easy to dive into!  Plus Neil Patrick Harris is in it, so it’s obviously a great show. 

3) Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

This hilarious show is a fantastic way to brighten your mood and laugh so hard, you’d think you gone to the gym.  Our main character, Kimmy Schmidt, was kidnapped when she was in the 8th grade and wasn’t found until FIFTEEN years later! Now, Kimmy is learning the ropes on how to get around New York city on her own, but not without the help of her friends Titus and Lillian, both hilarious additions to the cast.  This show is a great pick-me-up with multiple seasons to laugh about!

4) Stranger Things

While I’m sure many of us have watched this widely-acclaimed hit series, Stranger Things is one Netflix Original that can not be ignored.  Set in 1983, audiences are introduced to a fantastic cast, only to be submerged into a frightening mystery of a missing boy and girl with abilities beyond your belief.  With only one season being filmed, you could quickly get through this series (my family and I finished it in three days)! Sadly, THERE’S ONLY ONE SEASON! If you get hooked the way I did, you’re going to have to wait until October 2017 for the next season to be released. Despite this, watching this hit series is definitely worth it! And you can finally understand all of the references to the show your friends make! 

5) The Crown

Following the events throughout Queen Elizabeth II’s reign, this drama is one that represents the power and strength that women hold within them.  From romance to rivalry, audiences are able to follow the events that are said to have shaped the 20th century.  Another series that has been widely recognized with amazing reviews, this show is the perfect inspiration towards feminism and female power. Go women! 

Netflix is always coming out with new original series.  Which ones are your favorites?  Comment below and let us know how much you love these and so many others! Happy binging Zags!