It’s S’Winter-Time: How to Have a Summery Winter!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

I stand by the belief that Phineas and Ferb was one of the best – if not the best – animated kids show that has ever graced the television screen. It was consistently clever, hilarious, and produced some of the most memorable Disney Channel characters and episodes to date. Nowadays, I find myself reminiscing about afternoons spent watching Phineas and Ferb with my family, eagerly anticipating the antics of Perry the Platypus and the evil plots of Dr. Doofenschmirtz.

photo

Lately, the strangely sunny Spokane weather has been causing me to reminisce about summer – and, in turn, the classic “S’Winter” episode of Phineas and Ferb. In the episode, Phineas and Ferb try to cool down on the hottest day of the summer by creating a winter wonderland. While we’re technically in the dead of winter, Spokane has been teasing us with some random sunshine and warmish-air – so why not flip-flop the premise of this episode to create your very own S’Winter? Spokane is Spokane, so we may wake up to a foot of snow three days from now; but while it lasts, I thought it was only fitting to use the weather to our advantage.

Here are some ideas for creating your very own “S’Winter”, propelling you through the winter with a little bit of summer!

1. If it snows, make snow cones.

This was one of the most memorable moments of the “S’Winter” episode: Phineas, Ferb, and the rest of the gang make snow cones with snow and syrup. If it snows in the near future (and it’s bound to happen), be brave and eat an authentic snow cone as a summery treat.

2. Go camping (and maybe start a bonfire!).

Tent City is proof of the dedication and outdoor-expertise of Zags. In addition to Tent City, take your tent, friends, and marshmallows to a nearby camping site (look in both Spokane and Idaho!) when the forecast is dry. Marshmallows and a fire especially enhance the summer vibes.

3. Lounge by Lake Arthur with lemonade or iced tea.

Almost like lounging poolside! Grab an iced beverage from Starbucks, Dutch, or Sonic, and sit under the gazebo at Lake Arthur with a book or friend.

4. Start looking for swimsuits!

If the weather isn’t quite s’wintery, you can at least prepare for better times ahead by purchasing swimsuits online before the pre-summer rush.

5. Have a lemonade stand.

This is an iconic childhood staple, and your fellow Zags would probably appreciate your eagerness to spread summery vibes. It doesn’t take much (lemonade powder, water, table, and cardboard sign), and you might get a few quarters out of it. Better yet, have a lemonade stand battle between friend groups, and see who makes the best lemonade and/or the most profit!

6. Go swimming.

If you’re brave, swim somewhere outside (where, I’m not sure). If you’re like most people, head over to the pool at RFC. It’s a great workout, and if you go with friends, it’s ALMOST like hanging out at the pool over the summer…

7. If all else fails, embrace the winter sweaters, hot cocoa, skiing, and snow adventures, knowing that summer is only 3.5 months away!

Happy S’Winter everybody!