Giving Back This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

The holiday season is a time for having fun, seeing your loved ones, and celebration. However, beneath the twinkle lights, it can be easy for us to forget that some people do not have the same fortune that we do. Some children go to bed hungry and cold during the winter months, and sometimes people experiencing homelessness sleep outside in frigid temperatures when they can’t make it to the nearest warming shelter. Some of the elderly have nobody to visit them. The reality of some people’s situations can be heartbreaking. Luckily, there are so many ways to help others during the holidays. Here are some ideas:

1. Donate to a local canned food drive.

Food banks are some of the best organizations for feeding the hungry. They fairly distribute goods among community members based on family size once or twice a month, depending on their resources. Often times, holiday food drives stock food bank shelves for the entire year. If you are donating, try to give items with high nutritional value and long shelf lives. Also, food banks will always gladly accept cash donations; cash gives them the freedom to buy perishable goods and high-demand items that they might not have enough of in canned donations.

photo

2. Visit a nursing home or a hospital.

Volunteering in a retirement home is one of the best ways to spread cheer during the holiday season. Many times, the elderly don’t have very many visitors, and they are always delighted to have people to talk with, even strangers. At hospitals, many patients experience seasonal depression when they are unable to be home for the holidays. Visiting patients can raise morale exponentially. If you don’t have time to visit, make cards, little treats, or small gifts for patients and residents without families.

3. Donate to or volunteer at a warming shelter.

Many homeless and displaced people depend on warming shelters when temperatures drop. Donating old gloves, coats, hats, boots, blankets, and other warm winter gear can quite literally save lives. If you have nothing to donate, donate your time! Warming shelters are always looking for volunteers to oversee the shelters and distribute goods.

photo

4. Give a gift that gives back.

Looking for the perfect gift for a friend or family member? Ask them what their favorite charity is and give a donation in their honor!

5. Participate in a Giving Tree.

Many churches and public organizations put on Giving Trees, giving participants the opportunity to “adopt” people in need for the holidays. Many families cannot afford to give their children gifts, so participating in these events is an opportunity to brighten a child’s holiday season. If you want to add a small gift for the parents of these children, gift cards to grocery stores are always helpful and appreciated.

photo

In reality, anything that you can do this holiday season will make a huge impact on the lives of the less fortunate. Remembering that it is the season of light and giving in addition to a time of celebration can add an extra dimension to anyone’s winter, and in doing so, you can make a difference.