Five Female Country Artists You Probably Don’t Know About But Should

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

Hear me out here, even if you’re not a huge country fan! Here are some of the most underappreciated female country artists right now, and they’ll rock your socks off even if Country typically isn’t your thing (which it is definitely not mine and I still adore all of them).

Maren Morris

Maren is probably the most well-known performer on this list, but she still doesn’t get enough credit for her immense talent and insanely clever lyrics.

Recommended Song: “Rich” from her album Hero

Cam

Cam is a gem of a human being and is an actual ray of sunshine in her signature color yellow. Cam’s music is great for any kind of mood, but she really understands a broken heart.

Recommended Song: “Mayday” from her album Untamed

Jillian Jacqueline

Jillian may not be big yet, but her voice and her heart certainly deserve to be.  She has a way of capturing feelings in lyrics that are beyond her years.

Recommended Song: “Overdue,” her 2014 single

Caitlyn Smith

Caitlyn has a soft, understated quality about her and a way with words. She’s a songbird to keep an eye out for, for sure. Caitlyn isn’t as much country as she is singer/songwriter, but there’s a twang to her music that’s worth noticing.

Recommended Song: “Tacoma” from her EP Starfire

Taylor Swift

This name may be unfamiliar to many of you ~ ;) ~ but she’s actually quite the country connoisseur for a girl of just 16. Now I know, she may go on to do bigger and better, more POPular things, but her true country music is still underrated.

Recommended Song: “I’d Lie,” which is an unpublished song you can find on YouTube

*This article is dedicated to music lover, Alex Gill, who introduced me to all of these women (aside from Taylor Swift) and loved the craft of music production and the art of songwrighting so deeply. <3

Her Campus - Gonzaga Writer and PR/Events Coordinator. Full time baking enthusiast, donut connoisseur, and proud member of Taylor Swift's Regime since 2006. Actress. Dancer. Singer/Songwriter.