freestocks ChaY8166imQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks ChaY8166imQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Ways to Celebrate Galentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

In two weeks, lovers from around the globe will be celebrating the most romantic holiday of the year: Valentine’s Day. But the day before that, February 13th, is my favorite holiday: Galentine’s Day! It’s the perfect day to celebrate all the amazing ladies in your life, because relationships come and go, but friendships are forever!

1. Brunch! 

While dinner is the go-to meal for a romantic night out, nothing says girl-time like breakfast food. Starting your day surrounded by your best friends is a wonderful way to start any day, and especially Galentine’s Day. 

2. Get Crafty

Remember when you were a kid and you would spend time meticulously making a Valentine’s card for every member of your class? Well dig out the pink paper and heart stickers for Galentine’s Day instead! Find a design on Pinterest, or come up with something original. The best part of this idea? Getting to hand deliver your homemade cards to your girls and seeing their beautiful smiles.

3. Treat Yo Self

Speaking of Pinterest, that website has a plethora of yummy treats to make, and making them with your friends is always more fun. Plus, almost everything can be made in the shape of a heart – from cookies, to jello, to meringues, and everything in between.

4. Mix Tape it Up!

Sure, this isn’t the nineties, and sure, very few people actually have a CD player anymore, but curating a special playlist for someone is always a heartfelt gift. Create a unique playlist for all your girlfriends, tailoring to each individual, or simply create a basic girl power mix. Need song ideas? “Girl On Fire” by Alicia Keys, “Love Myself” by Hailee Steinfeld, and “Sit Still, Look Pretty” by Daya are all excellent places to start. 

5. Spa Day! 

Pamper yourself and your besties with manicures and pedicures while you sit around laughing and chatting. Try a fun face mask for a little extra indulgence. Just relax and enjoy the company of your favorite friends while feeling pretty! 

6. Movie Marathon!

Grab everyone’s favorite junk food and settle in to watch some of your squad’s favorite movies. Make it a theme night – Nicholas Sparks novels come to life, retro rom-coms like ‘16 Candles’ or ‘Can’t Buy Me Love’, or a sing-a-long Disney extravaganza. 

7. Girl’s Night Out!

Get all dolled up with your girls, take some glamour shots, and head out for a night on the town. Try a hip new restaurant, or go to an old favorite, it doesn’t matter. It’s all about feeling gorgeous and strutting your stuff, and most of all, spending time with friends you are grateful to have. 

This Galentine’s Day, take some time to tell all the ladies in your life how much you treasure them. Us girls gotta look out for each other. To quote Leslie Knope, the founder of this marvelous holiday, “Hoes before bros. Ovaries before broveries. Uteruses before duderuses. Happy Galentine’s Day!”

Portland native with a passion for people & words.
Macy Conant

Gonzaga '18

Student and Correspondent at Gonzaga University from Denver, Colorado. Major: Communications. Loves writing blogs posts, reading, spending time in little coffee shops, mentoring high school girls and wearing bright red lipstick.