This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

As the school year for many of us comes to a close and summer looms ahead, full of sunny days, there’s a race that thousands of people anticipate: Bloomsday! This 12K race through downtown Spokane has almost a cult following with runners coming from around the world each year to participate. If you’re not a runner or have never considered running this race, here are seven things you should know about Bloomsday.

1. You don’t have to be a runner to participate.

In fact, many people running Bloomsday each year don’t classify themselves as runners. There are parents walking with their kids, people dressed in costumes, and of course there are some runners. The race is designed for everyone so you shouldn’t let the same old excuse (“But I’m not a runner”) stop you from joining in this year.

2. Everyone in the community supports you.

This might sound like a cliché, but it’s true. When you run Bloomsday all of Spokane is there to cheer you on. People line up with signs in front of their homes, in front of businesses, and entire streets in downtown are closed for the race. No matter what your skill level the community doesn’t care, they support everyone.

3. It’s not too late to start training…

Bloomsday is scheduled for May 6th, which is just over a month away, but don’t let this stop you. There is still plenty of time to put on your running shoes and start training for the 7.5 miles of the race.

4. …Or to decide to run without training

The idea of a 7.5 mile race with no training may seem quite daunting, but it is completely doable. Last year I decided to run Bloomsday three days before the race and I am here to attest to the fact that not only did I survive but I got a decent time. And I am not a runner, not by a long shot.

5. Doomsday Hill isn’t as bad as you think.

One of the biggest challenges of the race isn’t the overall distance, it’s a fittingly named 1.1 mile hill. Doomsday Hill comes toward the end of the race and is something many people dread when they consider running this race. Despite its length, the hill is not too steep to walk comfortably up. You can do it!

6. It’s a great way to kick off the summer.

For all of us at Gonzaga the race always occurs the Sunday before finals week. It marks one week before summer vacation and is therefore a great way to kick off the summer.

7. You’ll get a pretty sweet t-shirt out of it.

No matter what, if you run the race you’ll get a pretty great t-shirt out of it. That seems like motivation enough. 

Bloomsday is one of the biggest foot races in the country, and signifies spring in Spokane! I encourage all Zags to give it a go, at least once in your time at Gonzaga!

I am a sophomore biology major at Gonzaga University. I am originally from Bellinghmam Washington.