alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

4 Videos That Will Change Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

…Okay, maybe life-changing is a bit of an overstatement, but some of my favorite memories consist of huddling around our thick-screened computer with my family (as far back as 2006, when YouTube was still a baby!), laughing hysterically over some ridiculous video clip discovered in the depths of YouTube. We sang along to Adam Sandler’s “Turkey Song” on Thanksgiving, watched “Santa Spotting” videos in anticipation of his arrival, and made lists of videos throughout the year to show our friends. I’m still not sure what prompted my family’s borderline YouTube obsession, but we have been huge fans since the beginning. When I am with family, need a pick-me-up other than coffee, or simply in desperate need of a distraction, the following videos help me decompress, reminisce, and find humor in the everyday bustle of college life.

1. Santa Shem

I may have been super out-of-the-loop on this one, but how did I not see this until March??? Why was this created??? And whose (brilliant) idea was this??? So many questions, so few answers. I saw this for the first time over Spring Break, and I have watched it every day since last Monday. It’s difficult to articulate what is so endearing about Karnowski reading “The Night Before Christmas” to Rem – but it is hilariously wonderful and needs to be watched by every Zag.

CLICK HERE TO WATCH!

2. The Skin Deep

This is an entire channel on YouTube, consisting of videos that explore the emotional space between couples: spouses, boyfriends and girlfriends, siblings, exes, friends, and others. Raw, passionate, and profound, these will make you laugh, cry, and ultimately see your loved ones in a new perspective. I highly, highly recommend watching these, but be forewarned that depending on the episode, you may need to prep yourself with tissues!

CLICK HERE TO WATCH!

3. Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

I was introduced to Monty Python at a relatively young age, and my childhood best friend and I got a kick out of this song. We would sing it in cringey British accents (which were probably super annoying… a belated apology to anyone who had to listen to us). The best part was when we hit the “s-word” (gasp) and made a bunch of noises to cover it up. If “life seems jolly rotten” (whether it’s finals, friend troubles, or just generalized stress), watch this video!

CLICK HERE TO WATCH!

4. Life Lessons from 100 Year-olds

I discovered this one very recently on my Recommended List (YouTube must know I love old people). Three centenarians discuss their most valuable life lessons, and also their regrets. It is sweet, funny, reflective, and powerful – and their smiles are precious. As Clifford says: “A hundred and one is only a number. You live for the day.”

CLICK HERE TO WATCH!

Thank goodness for YouTube, happy centenarians, and Santa Shem. Share some of your favorite videos in the comments section below!