This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Ah, The Princess Bride.  I watch you every year on New Year’s Eve to ensure luck and adventure.  Two nerds bonded on a blind date because one of them quoted Miracle Max; I now call them “Mom” and “Dad.”  I made the mistake of giving away my shirt featuring the movie poster; it was a surefire conversation starter, as someone was always ready with a quip.  Good stuff.

What’s that?  You’re unfamiliar with what is arguably the greatest cult classic film of all time?  

Based on William Goldman’s novel of the same name (although he presented the book as being written by the fictitious S. Morgenstern), The Princess Bride came out in 1987 and has only skyrocketed in popularity since then.  It’s frequently listed as being one of the most quotable films of all time, with good reason.

One can express nobility…

…or impart (very specific) wisdom…

…or just confuse some wedding guests.

Westley drops knowledge as the indomitable Man in Black…

…while Inigo Montoya carries out a fantastic personal quest for vengeance.

And let’s not forget that The Princess Bride was the world’s first introduction to Robin Wright, who now shines as Claire Underwood on House of Cards.

One of the biggest draw-ins for this movie is the quirky fairytale romance.

I’d like to thank the scriptwriters on behalf of myself and countless others.  The standards are high, folks.  

I mean, LOOK at this.

…Maybe not that last one.  

I’d include more images, but you should go watch the movie and discover how fun it is for yourself!

Emily Pierce

Gettysburg

Emily is a sophomore at Gettysburg College. In her boundless spare time, she does theatre, creative writing, and stand-up comedy. Her only recurring dreams involve cooking for celebrities; Steve Buscemi was not a fan of her spaghetti, but he was very polite about it so that's nice.
Juliette Sebock, Founder: Jules founded the Gettysburg College chapter of Her Campus in Fall 2015 and served as Campus Correspondent until graduating in Spring 2018. Juliette graduated from Gettysburg College in 2018 with an English major and History/Civil War Era Studies/Public History triple minors. In addition to HC, she was a member of the Spring 2017 class of Advanced Studies in England and of various organizations including Eta Sigma Phi, Dance Ensemble, and Poetry Circle. She has published a poetry chapbook titled Mistakes Were Made, available on Amazon and Goodreads, and she has poems forthcoming in several literary magazines. She is also the editor-in-chief of Nightingale & Sparrow Magazine and runs the lifestyle blog, For the Sake of Good Taste. For more information, visit https://juliettesebock.com.