Why I Don’t Think the Kardashians are Good Role Models

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Source: http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/201592/rs_560x396-15100214…

You turn on the TV and “Keeping Up With the Kardashians” is on, again! You go on Facebook; articles are trending on how they took over fashion week, or that one of them changed their hair. Everywhere you turn, there is yet another image or reminder of the Kardashians.  Many people say that they are good role models for young girls, but I have to disagree.

Demi Lovato came out and said that she looked up to the Kardashians because they showed her that curves could be beautiful, but I have to disagree with that statement. Yes, curves are beautiful, but I do not think that the Kardashians promote a healthy living style that shows this. Instead of promoting exercise and eating healthily, they advertise waist training and weight loss pills, aspects of the commercial world that preach perfection that could harm young girls.

Young girls need strong women to look up to, those who make a name for themselves, and who are not afraid to stand up and fight for who they are. I do not think that this is something that can be found through the Kardashian family. When they started dating, Kim Kardashian allowed Kayne West to go through her closet and throw out anything that he did not approve of. We should not be teaching young girls that they can only wear what a man allows them. School dress codes do that enough as it is.

As a female, I want to be able to look up to women who use their brains to get ahead, women who know that appearance is not the most important thing in life. The Kardashians do not fit this criterion. Kim Kardashian has said that stretch marks are her biggest fear in life and that the “worst thing on the planet” is when other women wear foundation that is too light.  

She also will only be seen in a bathing suit at certain times so that her cellulite cannot be seen.  Kourtney Kardashian has said that she needs to contour her nose and cheekbones “every day, or [she] won’t leave the house.” There have been numerous other statements from the Kardashian family that fall into the same category as those above. All of these statements teach girls that looks are more important than anything else. They also say that judging other women based on looks is okay, and they even encourage it.

I am not trying to judge or tear down the Kardashians. All I am trying to say is that they are not the women we should be encouraging young girls to look up to. Instead, we should be encouraging young girls to be inspired by strong, independent women who believe that brains are more important than looks, and being healthy is more important than being skinny.

My name is Erica Boucher and I am part of Gettysburg College Class of 2019. I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter (and am a total Ravenclaw). I'm the Profile Editor here at HerCampus Gettysburg along with a writer. I love the color blue, singing/dancing to music in my dorm room, and wearing funky socks.