tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why I Did Not Drink My Freshman Year of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

I came into college with the expectation that I would probably drink. Now, I wasn’t planning on getting drunk or blacking out, and to be honest, I wasn’t even completely sure if I wanted to, but I did expect that at some point I would go out to a frat party and drink a little bit.  

Something that Gettysburg does really well is their policy for first years when it comes to alcohol.  Until a couple weeks into the first semester, first-year students can get points for even being caught around alcohol, and the amount of points they receive will be double what it normally would be. This may not deter all first years from drinking (okay, it totally doesn’t), but for those of us who are on the fence, it at least stops us from drinking for the first few weeks of school. And then, in my opinion, you are able to see that you don’t need to drink to have fun on the weekends.

I had someone ask me one time what I did for fun since I don’t drink. I watch movies with my friends, or play cards against humanity for hours. I bounce around my room singing to old music or make an awesome pillow fort. I just talk with my friends for hours, laughing until it hurts. I might just relax and catch up with T.V. shows from the week and then go to bed early. And sometimes, I go out to a frat and dance. The only difference is that I am completely sober when I do it, and remember every part of my night when I wake up the next morning.

I want to make it clear that I am not judging those who decide to drink. I have just decided that I do not want to. College is about making memories, and I am doing that. I’m just doing it with a BAC of 0.

Image Source: http://sev.h-cdn.co/assets/15/21/980×490/landscape-1432073760-party-nigh…

My name is Erica Boucher and I am part of Gettysburg College Class of 2019. I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter (and am a total Ravenclaw). I'm the Profile Editor here at HerCampus Gettysburg along with a writer. I love the color blue, singing/dancing to music in my dorm room, and wearing funky socks.