Walk A Mile In Her Shoes 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Walk a mile in her shoes is an international men’s march to raise awareness about the issues of rape, sexual assault, and gender violence. This walk was created by two men in 2001 and has, by now, raised millions of dollars to be donated to local rape crisis centers, domestic violence shelters, and other sexual violence educational, prevention, and remediation programs. The idea behind the walk is to physically put men in women’s shoes, but also get them thinking what it would be like less literally as well.

Every year the brothers of Sigma Alpha Epsilon pair up with the sisters of Delta Gamma to host this march on Gettysburg College campus. The event was hosted April 5th this year and was a success…minus some broken heels, and sore ankles.

Additionally the SAE brothers were joined by other Greek organizations such as members of Phi Delta Theta and Sigma Chi. The event had its biggest turn out in several years! While the boys walked in the heels the members of Delta Gamma cheered them along and walked with them on the mile long journey. This event was very successful in raising awareness and all of the proceeds will go to Survivor’s Inc, Adams County’s domestic assault and sexual violence organization.

I am currently a senior at Gettysburg College!  I am an English major with a Wrting concentration and Women Gender Studies minor.