O Captain, My Captain: Jules Sebock

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Year: 2018

Major/minor: English, History/CWES, Public History

Hometown: Pottsville, PA

Activities: Selling books to book lovers across the world, petting dogs, bringing justice to improper grammar, and running Her Campus Gettysburg!

HC: Why do you love Gettysburg?

JS: Gettysburg has great memories for me starting in my childhood, when I’d visit the battlefield with my grandparents.  By the time I was old enough to start looking into colleges, I’d already attended the CWI summer conference twice, and fallen totally in love with campus (granted, the mango-infused water at Servo helped, RIP, old juice machines!).  It was so bad that I even got my senior pictures taken on campus! Since coming here, my favourite things are tied between the opportunities and the people;  I’ve had more chances to do incredible things in my short time here than some people do in a lifetime, all the while surrounded by some of the best friends, professors, and general community members a girl could ask for.  

HC: What is your dream job?

JS: Well, aside from being a Princess (Prince Harry, if you’re reading this, drop me a line!), I’d love to be a writer.  I plan to work for the Park Service first, gather some more historical knowledge, and then meander into the world of historical writings, then eventually fiction and maybe some poetry.  

HC: If you were an animal, what would you be?

JS: My friends and I often joke that I’m the human embodiment of a chihuahua (is animilification an actual concept? It should be.).  The stereotype of this shaky little tiny furry thing is pretty spot on, but I can be pretty yappy when prompted.  Plus, Taco Bell fire sauce is pretty much life.  

HC: What is your favorite thing about yourself?

JS: Gosh, positive introspection… I’d have to say that my favourite thing about myself is that I truly care about things, whether it’s a person, a cause, or even a fictional character.  Empathy’s probably my best trait.  

HC: If you could have coffee with a figure from the battle of Gettysburg, who would it be and why? What would he/she order?

JS: Either James Archer or Paddy O’Rourke (I always have had a thing for ghosts, I suppose!).  I could see Archer ordering his coffee black (coincidentally, my go-to drink), very lawyerly of him, while O’Rourke would obviously need some Bailey’s to make his complete!

English major with a writing concentration, Civil War era studies/Middle East and Islamic studies minor. I'm all about goats and feminism.