jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

It’s RAK Week! What Does That Mean?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

It’s February – the month of love! Even better, it’s the middle of February, which means that it’s time for Random Acts of Kindness (RAK) week!

The month of love is the perfect time to spread a little love through the world. One approach to this quite lofty goal has been taken up the Random Acts of Kindness organization. They believe that one small, random act of kindness can spread happiness and conscientiousness a long way. It doesn’t take much to make a big difference.

Image via Chreynolds

The smallest action can have a large effect. Sometimes, it can even start a ripple effect. The simple act of paying for the person behind you at a drive-through will not only brighten the day of that person but inspire them as well. Occasionally, this can lead to touching events such as an entire, long line of people in a drive through each paying for the person behind them.

The entire point, though, is that the act can be as big or as small as you want! Send someone a thank you note. give someone a small gift. Compliment that person you pass on the street. Hand out socks to homeless people. Volunteer somewhere. The possibilities are endless!

Image via kindness.org

It can be difficult to sometimes imagine how these little things can make the huge difference that’s often described, but they honestly do work. My friend who just started working as a PLA recently received an email from one of their students thanking them for their help. This made their day. They were still talking about it the next day because it made them so happy. It doesn’t take much to turn someone’s day around and make the world a little brighter.

The key to this plan is to have people doing these random acts all over the place in order to spread kindness as far and as fast as possible. Anyone can be apart of this movement. For more information, visit randomactsofkindness.org. You can even become a Random Acts of Kindness Activist (often called RAKtivists)  and gain inspiration and ideas from others who also love to spread kindness.

Cover Image via Pottery Barn

Zoe Philippou

Gettysburg '20

(she/her) From Arizona, Zoe is officially a Psychology and Anthropology double major, a German minor, and an unofficial a Theater inhabitor. She loves all thing having to do with culture or really just people in general. She's also a huge nerd who loves crafts.