How to Help People at Risk Under a Trump Presidency

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Donate to organizations that help people of color, immigrants, women, and other marginalized groups

Black Lives Matter is an activist group fighting for African American justice and safety. They hold protests, boycotts, and youth empowerment events and are inclusive of women and members of the LGBTQ+ community. Check out their website to donate to the cause.

Image via:  http://blacklivesmatter.com/about/

Planned Parenthood offers a wide variety of effective and meaningful services to women including ultrasounds, STD testing, birth control, emergency contraception and safe abortions. If you are worried about the women in your life, consider making a donation (in Mike Pence’s name, no less). Visit their website.

The protectors at Standing Rock need firewood, gas, paint, and other supplies in their fight for clean water and land rights. Consider helping them by sending much-needed items or money.

Survivors, Inc. is located right here in Gettysburg and provides a variety of services including support groups, therapy, legal advocacy, shelters, community education, and a hotline. Donate here.

Get educated

Attend events with the Women’s Center, LASA, SASA, BSU, GASA, Outerspace, or GECO. Read Surge to gain a deeper understanding of what students are experiencing on campus. Join the #wontstandforhate movement. Check out the African American Intellectual Historical Society’s syllabi and read up.

Image via:  facebook.com/gburgouterspace

Walk a friend

Some people may not feel safe walking alone at night considering the number of hate crimes that have been reported since Donald Trump’s election. If you know of someone who feels unsafe, reach out to them and let them know that you are available, and if you haven’t heard from anyone specifically, consider posting on social media that you are a safe person to walk with.

Don’t be a bystander

If you witness someone being harassed or victimized, insert yourself. Distract or speak out against the attacker, or start up a conversation with the victim and get them out of the situation. Call campus security or 911 if you are witnessing a hate crime, and report any bias incidents you see. Use your privilege for good, and stand up to anyone perpetuating racism, sexism, Islamophobia, or xenophobia.

Call local senators and representatives

Do this every day. Call in, state your name, and urge your congressperson to denounce Donald Trump’s rhetoric and proposed ideas. Ask them to fight for refugee rights and immigration, to condemn and act against police brutality and racial profiling, to uphold marriage equality, to protect women’s health and sexual/reproductive rights, and to act on legislation protecting the environment. Get a group together and call every day, even multiple times a day, and target specific issues.

English major with a writing concentration, Civil War era studies/Middle East and Islamic studies minor. I'm all about goats and feminism.
Juliette Sebock, Founder: Jules founded the Gettysburg College chapter of Her Campus in Fall 2015 and served as Campus Correspondent until graduating in Spring 2018. Juliette graduated from Gettysburg College in 2018 with an English major and History/Civil War Era Studies/Public History triple minors. In addition to HC, she was a member of the Spring 2017 class of Advanced Studies in England and of various organizations including Eta Sigma Phi, Dance Ensemble, and Poetry Circle. She has published a poetry chapbook titled Mistakes Were Made, available on Amazon and Goodreads, and she has poems forthcoming in several literary magazines. She is also the editor-in-chief of Nightingale & Sparrow Magazine and runs the lifestyle blog, For the Sake of Good Taste. For more information, visit https://juliettesebock.com.