Birds Birds and more Birds: A Review of A Map of Virtue

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

It’s once again time for the Owl and Nightingale Players to perform another show. But this time it’s a bit different from every other show I’ve seen here in these last three years. Arguably, every show has been different, but this is the first time I’ve seen a horror-ish show at the Kline Theater.

A Map of Virtue is a show by Erin Courtney and directed by guest director Tara Ahmadinejad. The show is about two people, Mark and Sarah, and their many random meetings throughout their lives. It’s narrated by a bird statue that has been there to witness their interactions.

Image via Origin Theatrical

Without getting into any spoilers, I do feel like there are a few trigger warnings that have to be put out there. First, the show is not suitable for children, mainly because of language. There are also mentions of and somewhat detailed descriptions of and conversations about childhood sexual abuse. Lastly, if you don’t enjoy threatening manipulation, then this show probably isn’t for you.

All in all, it’s a pretty interesting show. The bird statue’s costume was my favorite with its simple forms but bird-like connotations in its coloring and shape.Though, there was some confusion about whether the statue is metalwork or made of wood. And the bird mask was pretty realistic and creepy. The sound design contributed heavily to the overall creepy feel of the show. I also liked the balance and symmetry of the parts. There’s definitely a ton of symbolism in this show, but, honestly, most of it went right over my head. I’m not sure if the symbolism is just too mixed up within the action to easily figure it out or if it’s just not there and it just feels like it might be.

Image via COR Theater

Strangely enough, I found it difficult to connect with the main characters. The actors were all great, but they felt more like characters than people. Surprisingly, the ones that I felt were the most sympathetic and “real” was the creepy Ray as well as Victor – especially after his description of growing up in a seaside town. I almost wish that we got more backstory on Ray, especially, and what led him to the situation that we find him.

The show will be running the weekend of 4/20 to 4/23. Tickets are required, but free, for Friday and Saturday’s performances. To get tickets, please call (717)-337-6060.

Cover image via author

Zoe Philippou

Gettysburg '20

(she/her) From Arizona, Zoe is officially a Psychology and Anthropology double major, a German minor, and an unofficial a Theater inhabitor. She loves all thing having to do with culture or really just people in general. She's also a huge nerd who loves crafts.