The Best And Worst Servo Meals Of My First Month At College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.
Entering my third week at Gettysburg College, Servo (our essentially famous dining hall) has become both a friend and an enemy depending on the day and the meal time. While some foods make the student body drool, other meals do quite the opposite. Over the past three weeks, I’ve compiled a list of the best and worst Servo foods to hit the menu labelled serv(yes) and serv(no).

Serv(yes)

Breakfast: The muffins (specifically the blueberry crumb) are above average, and never fail to get me through my next class. 

Lunch: The salad bar offers a variety of dressing options to pair with the greens, including croutons and fresh vegetables. Overall, the Servo Salad Bar is a first-year crowd pleaser. Vegan chicken nuggets. Recently served with Sweet Baby Ray’s barbeque sauce, Servo’s vegan chicken nuggets offer a tasty vegan option for any non-meat eater. 

Dinner: Servo’s pasta station is a crucial element in college dining. When all else fails, Servo’s pasta is reliable, available, and always well prepared with different sauces. Eggplant parm, served within the first week of school, was a wildly popular meal, as was the vegetable lasagna. Another meatless option is the strawberry and spinach salad, which had a refreshing sweet and savory taste combining strawberries, onions, and balsamic dressing.

Dessert: COOKIES!! No Servo experience would be complete without a warm Servo cookie, or two, or three…

Photo by Juliette Sebock

Serv(no)

Breakfast: Servo lacks a lot of breakfast options, and aside from their muffins the breakfast can be pretty subpar. But don’t worry, most of the time you’ll miss breakfast for class or for sleep.

Lunch: The “light fare” option at Servo from 1:30pm to 5 pm in the Grill Center for those who missed legitimate lunch is greatly disappointing. Though the food isn’t too bad, missing lunch and eating mass-produced college dining style chicken nuggets or veggie burgers gets tiring.

Dinner:  Though I didn’t have either dish myself, other freshman have rumoured that the Kabobs were mostly fatty. Similarly, there was a unanimous agreement that Servo’s pad thai noodles are “uncomfortably sweet.” Regardless of the source, the meals were a huge serve-no.    Bad meals aside, Servo’s positives still tend to outweigh its negatives and offer a variety of wholesome options for all students. However, when in doubt, Domino’s delivers. 

Kyra Pfeiffer

Gettysburg '21

Kyra is a future English major entering her freshman year at Gettysburg College, where she will participate in intramural sports and a variety of clubs. Originating from Taylor, Pennsylvania, Kyra is fond of small-town culture, as well as using pinky promises as a legitimate foundation of trust, and late night taco bell runs.
Juliette Sebock, Founder: Jules founded the Gettysburg College chapter of Her Campus in Fall 2015 and served as Campus Correspondent until graduating in Spring 2018. Juliette graduated from Gettysburg College in 2018 with an English major and History/Civil War Era Studies/Public History triple minors. In addition to HC, she was a member of the Spring 2017 class of Advanced Studies in England and of various organizations including Eta Sigma Phi, Dance Ensemble, and Poetry Circle. She has published a poetry chapbook titled Mistakes Were Made, available on Amazon and Goodreads, and she has poems forthcoming in several literary magazines. She is also the editor-in-chief of Nightingale & Sparrow Magazine and runs the lifestyle blog, For the Sake of Good Taste. For more information, visit https://juliettesebock.com.