This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

When I told people that I was coming to Georgia Southern University to get my bachelor’s degree, I got a lot of different responses. “Why are you going so far away?” “That school is in the middle of nowhere, you’re going to be so bored!” and my personal favorite: “Georgia Southern is just a party school!” I have to admit, when I first started hearing these things, I was a little annoyed, but as time went on and especially after my first semester here at Georgia Southern, I had some responses to people’s comments about my school.

Georgia Southern prides itself in being a “large scale,small feel” university, and I can say that they are not lying when they say this. The professors are willing to help you one-on-one when it’s necessary, and the students really understand the idea of community. The first time that I stepped foot on the Georgia Southern campus, I knew that it was the place I wanted to make the transition from childhood to adulthood. While Georgia Southern is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, the location was a factor in why I chose it. I grew up in the most suburban area you could think of, and I knew that when I went to college, I wanted a change of pace. I’m not much of a city girl, so I figured that I might as well give country living a try (and if I want to hit the city, Savannah is only about 45 minutes away)! When I’m away at school, I definitely miss home, but another reason I chose Georgia Southern is because of its distance from my hometown. I’m from the Atlanta area, so I’m about three hours away from home. I grew up in an area where I’ve known most of the people I graduated with since elementary school. As much as I loved my graduating class, I wanted to be somewhere else, a place where nobody knew me and I knew nobody. I wanted a fresh start, and coming to Georgia Southern gave me just that.

There are so many reasons that I love this school, but if I tried to list them all off, this post would become a book. Whether you’re looking to become a Georgia Southern eagle, or you just need a little reminder of why you came in the first place, you have to know that Georgia Southern University is not just a college, Georgia Southern is a community; a community that anyone would be lucky to be a part of, and a community that I’m proud of.

Nailah Mitnaul

Georgia Southern

Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.